Mandrake Books?

Guest Jose

Guest Jose

I am curious as to why there are any books for Mandrake Linux. Like my Red Hat 8 Bible? If I knew I could set up a web/mail/ftp servers properly with the help of a good book, my servers would be Mandrake. But when I go to my local Barnes and Nobles, not a book about Mandrake. This does not help Mandrake, as techno people are more likely to buy products for which there is documentaion.

It's funny, Mandrakes has great online help and Red Hat does not, while Red Hat has all the books and Mandrake has nil.

First of all, RedHat is a huge company. Mandrake is not.

Mandrake has several online guides in their site, from install to server configuration. That should be enough to allow you to configure whatever you want (I guess those guides are in your installation cds too).

I haven't seen the RedHat 8 Bible, but if it doesn't go to much into linuxconf or whatever configuring tool redhat uses nowadays and as long it relies in the basics, IMHO, you can use that book (or any other good redhat based GNU/Linux book) to configure your Mandrake server. I wouldn't expect many differences between redhat and mandrake since mandrake is redhat-based.

BTW, I have used dozens of times the redhat guides to solve problems or to configure and optimize my Mandrake system.

Guest Jose

Thanks for the quick reply. I use both Red Hat and Mandrake. And I do find Mandrake easier to use. I am getting concerned with Red Hat as they are begining to provide GUI to things and not use Linuxconf. But since I find more documentation for Red Hat I am forced to rely on it. I wonder how many out there are using Mandrake to run their servers? I don't mean this in a bad way, but I would love to be pleasantly surprised to find that a lot of people do that. Then I could do it too!!

You are right about most of the inner workings of the two being about the same. Hey they use about the same if not the same kernal. I am new to linux, but after 4 weeks am getting pretty use to it and more confident each day. Still there are day when I pull my hair out, thinking, I'd would have already been done with this or that in Windows, instead of learning cyptic commands and structure. Still, when one master's something, it feels great. Again, thanks for you reply.

I am happy to report that I have my ftp, mail (but don't know how), web and samba servers up. Samba will take a little more work, but I am close.

I wonder how many out there are using Mandrake to run their servers? [..]I would love to be pleasantly surprised to find that a lot of people do that.[..]
I do :D

And here you'll find many (hundreds?) of serious examples: http://www.mandrakebizcases.com/

Hey they use about the same if not the same kernal.
No, you are wrong at this point, mandrake kernels are a bit more bleeding-edge. I guess that redhat uses some sort of AC Kernel, after all Alan Cox works for that company. Mandrake kernels are patched even more.

...Still there are day when I pull my hair out, thinking, I'd would have already been done with this or that in Windows, instead of learning cyptic commands and structure.  Still, when one master's something, it feels great.
there is where the fun relies

I am happy to report that I have my ftp, mail (but don't know how), web and samba servers up.  Samba will take a little more work, but I am close.
Good luck with it then ;)