a couple gnome2 questions

tyme

1) is there a way to get rid of the trash can on the desktop? i used to know a way to do this through nautilus, but that option seems to have disappeared.

2) how do you set the icon used for the "Applications" menu on the top bar? (the default top panel)

I've searched around to no avail. Please note, any Mandrake tools I don't have because I'm using Gentoo, but I figured this isn't something that should be distro-specific so I'm posting it here. mods: feel free to move to the other distro's forum if you feel this post is better off there.

Have you looked around and tried a few things in gconf-editor>apps>nautilus or in gconf-editor>desktop?

I'm using idesk, not having nautilus draw the desktop because not being able to change the desktop font color was driving me nuts, not to mention I get the alpha transparency and shadowed text, so forget letting nautilus do it :wink:

Did you look and ask over here? http://gnomesupport.org/forums/

What Applications menu? I don't have that????? Icons themes for nautilus don't work for new versions as the icon themes are now centralized for gnome2....if that makes sense?

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ rpm -qa | grep nautilus

libnautilus2-2.2.1-5mdk

nautilus-gtkhtml-0.3.2-5mdk

nautilus-2.2.1-5mdk

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ rpm -qa | grep gnome2

libgnome2-2.2.0.1-2mdk

libgnome2_0-2.2.0.1-2mdk

gnome2-2.2.0-1mdk

libgnome2_0-devel-2.2.0.1-2mdk

[bvc@localhost bvc]$

Have you looked at this? http://g-scripts.sourceforge.net/

In Gnome, the Applications menu is part of the Menu panel that by default is at the top of your screen (the default of Gnome), similar to the MacOs before OSX. Mandrake 9.1 may not have it set as default, just as Red Hat no longer does, since they both have customized Gnome with Bluecurve/Galaxy.

It is next to the Gnome Menu and it lets you log out and do a couple of other things.

Right click on your present panel and you can select Menu panel and it will appear at the top.

Have you looked around and tried a few things in gconf-editor>apps>nautilus or in gconf-editor>desktop?

yeah, i hunted around in there and couldn't find anything.

update: I was able to change the icon beside the "Applications" drop-down menu (I believe this would be similar to the menu entitled "Mandrake", but I don't remember-it's basically the main drop down menu), I did so by figuring out which icon it was using from /usr/share/pixmaps and simply replacing that with the icon I wanted it to use (as bvc mentioned-posted this before i read that post). Simple rename, quick hack, but I have a feeling there should be an easier way to do this.

Still working on the trash bin icon :-/

Don't know what it does since nautilus doesn't draw my desktop, but I just found a gconf key @

gconf-editor>desktop>gnome>url-handlers>trash that has an option enabled with a checkbox

hope it helps, though I don't know what this has to do with urls except maybe to send deleted bookmarks there? worth a shot. :roll:

you can just

rm /home/TYME/.gnome-desktop/Trash

although it'll come back next time you relogin... but if you keep your computer up for long periods of time it might not be a big deal if it's that important to not have a trash?

i've just decided it's not that big of a deal. i stuck it behind where I have gaim open so i don't see it. i don't make use of it, when i delete stuff i just straight up delete it, so it's just a useless icon. no biggie.