AfterStep....

lawsonrc

Tonight at our HLUG (meets every Wed.), I downloaded AfterStep since it isn't included on the MDK9.1 discs.

When I log in, I'd like to add it to show up in the list of Desktop Environments to choose from (I use the graphic login for username and password).

One of the members of HLUG created a script so that after I have logged into a different DE I could get into AfterStep by pressing CTRL + ALT + F2, login with name and password, and then type "xrun afterstep" (without the quotes). Then after I quit AfterStep, I do the "dirty" CTRL +ALT +Backspace to get out of X.

Well, at least with the script I can switch back and forth between the two environments (...F2 with AfterStep and ...F7 with KDE/Gnome/or IceWM -- whichever I logged in with).

Since I'm a real nontechie with limited command line experience, a detailed, step-by-step procedure to add AfterStep to the list of sessions on start up would be greatly appreciated.

In advance, thanks!

Richard L.

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost bvc]#cd /etc/X11/wmsession.d

[root@localhost wmsession.d]# ls

01KDE  02GNOME  16Waimea  25openbox

[root@localhost wmsession.d]# cp 01KDE 03AfterStep

[root@localhost wmsession.d]# vi 03AfterStep

and change the names and paths

NAME=AfterStep

ICON=

DESC=

EXEC=/usr/bin/afterstep #(or whatever...find out with which afterstep)

SCRIPT:

exec /usr/bin/afterstep #(or whatever...find out with which afterstep)

Esc> : >wq <Enter>

Hope it helps....let us know!

Thanks bvc!

On weeknight evenings I'm a little tired since I get up at 4:30 am to get ready for work, and I'm afraid I'll screw it up; therefore, I'll wait until the weekend after some rest to try to do this.

AfterStep seems to have some really cool features, such as its animated wallpaper. I'm going to have fun playing with it!

Cheers from a fellow Houstononian :wink:

Richard

I just tried your suggestion, bvc. However, AfterStep doesn't show up in the Session Type when I log in.

EXEC=/usr/bin/afterstep #(or whatever...find out with which afterstep)

SCRIPT:

exec /usr/bin/afterstep #(or whatever...find out with which afterstep)

How do I find out with which afterstep, since the edits I did like in your example above did not work?

Thanks!

Richard

P.S. I'm burning Morphix CD's tomorrow!

I got it, bvc!

I found it in /usr/bin/X11/afterstep

I edited the /etc file as you suggested, using vi (hey! I'm getting the hang of vi, FINALLY!)

I first tried /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep, but that one didn't work. I found that when I tried /usr/bin/X11/afterstep, I had to reboot in order for it to show in the list of Sessions, since it did not appear when I simply logged out, then logged back in.

I had already gone to their website. On it, I didn't understand how to get the AfterStep Menu to show the menu that is used in Mandrake, or KDE, or Gnome.

Almost all the menu items in its default seem to be disabled, because they include things like an older version (4.x, I believe) of Netscape and StarOffice and other things that are not in Mandrake 9.1. There isn't even a listing for Games!

So its menu is only good for configuring AfterStep's desktop, windows, themes, etc. and nothing else.

Any help on the Menu from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Richard L.

Never used it so I don't know about the menus. What do you mean by "animated wallpaper"? If it's a changing of wallpaper in a specified time, you can do that in any DE/WM. Check out chbg (ChangeBackground).

Install

urpmi chbg

Options

chbg --help

SetUp

chbg -setup (opens a gui window to config) then save your scenario to a file. To load at startup depends on the DE/WM you're using. If gnome, make sure you select the "force nautilus" option.

I have mine in ~.xsession and tell gnome to run ~/.xsession at startup. In ~.xsession I have

chbg -scenario one

"one" being the name I gave the saved scenario.

Or, have fun in AfterStep! :wink: It's very light, fast, and configurable.....from what I've read. Be sure to checkout Aterm and its options with AfterStep. Aterm is AfterSteps terminal, so it has some options that only work in AfterStep.

I couldn't resist :wink: I rebuilt the src.rpm>and installed AfterStep...I see the animations in the menu but haven't figured them out yet.

The menu entries ARE THERE for me but;

1. I rebuilt a mdk.src.rpm

but/and

2. I'll bet if you installed a mdk.rpm you'd have menu entries too....or did you? Sounds to me like you installed a binary tarball or something.

mdk.src.rpm

http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/co...1-2mdk.src.html

cd to its locations and as root do;

rpmbuild --rebuild AfterStep-1.8.11-2mdk.src.rpm

when it's done look for a line that reads something like

Wrote /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/AfterStep-1.8.11-2mdk.i586.rpm

and the libs and devel rpm (there will be 3 rpm built). Then;

cd /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/

and

rpm -ivh <pkg_name>

for each rpm.

mdk.rpm (i586)

http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/co...-2mdk.i586.html

http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/co...-2mdk.i586.html

Here is what John G. and I installed from www.afterstep.org/Download.php website at HLUG on Wed. night:

AfterStep-1.8.10-1rh7.i386.rpm and

AfterStep-1.8.10-1rh7.src.rpm

There wasn't anything from Mandrake at their site. I just went back there and found that all these downloads are a couple of years old.

I guess you did an advance Google search that included mdk --which you taught me to do but I keep forgetting, "mr. smarty" (LOL) :wink:

Anyway, how do I uninstall the 1.8.10-1rh7.i386 version and its src?? I'm asking because after I did a

cd /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/ and

rpm -ivh <pkg_name> for each rpm.

I got messages stating that the lib and devel conflict with the 1.8.10 versions.

So I guess I want to uninstall my present version of AfterStep and install the AfterStep-1.8.11-2mdk.alpha.rpm that I just downloaded to go with the AfterStep-1.8.11-2mdk.src.rpm????

Very confused :roll: :? (But not panicking yet...he-he)

Richard

Okay, I uninstalled AfterStep-1.8.10-1rh7.i386.rpm and installed the Mandrake version: 1.8.11 from the website

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/2/simple/2

As per instructions from bvc, I did the following:

" . . . click the Uncheck All button, then check only Mandrake9x. A cookie will usually remember this next time you go there. Speakeasy will always list Mandrake Cooker first, and rpmpbone can find Texstar stuff..." which led me to the Mandrake files for AfterStep.

After I downloaded and installed it, for about two minutes, I could click on AfterStep's Desktop to get its menu, and voila!, Mandrake's menu was a submenu within it.

HOWEVER****, after two minutes, the only menu I get when I left-click on the menu is the Mandrake Menu...there is no longer the main AfterStep Menu, which means I can no longer configure anything in AfterStep.

UNLESS*** Is there a command line that I can use in Xterm to open up AfterStep's menu????

In addition, the only icon that shows on Wharf in this Mandrake version of AS are the Eyes, which do nothing useful. The box for Applications does open up, but with no icons; however, a tooltip lets me know that one of these empty spaces is xterm, and when I click on it, it opens up.

Does anyone know how to put icons on apps in the Wharf and how to add apps to the Wharf?

But most importantly, I want to open up the AfterStep menu!

[Note: I've gone to their website, but I didn't understand their documentation...it was too technical for me.]

Thanks!

Richard L.