9.1 no lan on install

Guest naturesteve

Guest naturesteve

Sorry but I couldn't find a solution, only mention of this and dhcpcd.

I just installed 9.1 on a machine with a lan connection. Internet is through a gateway. IP's are all static. My card is detected (tried 2 different cards) and ifconfig and route show a connection to the card but there is no connection to the lan, can't ping the machine beside me.

I have re-installed and tried standard security.

This is my first experience with ML, used other linux for 5 yrs. so not a real newbie.

Any proceedure, instructions or pointers appreciated, this looks a great distro, if only it worked.

steve :(

Guest naturesteve

Thanks but tried both of these. Also linuxconf. It is as if I have ipchains running and all packets are dumped. No response to incomming pings also. The hub lights show the card is active and the cable works fine plugged into the pc next to this machine.

I notice my route table looks like

10.2.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo

default 10.2.1.20 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

steve

Guest fubar::chi
Sorry but I couldn't find a solution, only mention of this and dhcpcd.

I just installed 9.1 on a machine with a lan connection. Internet is through a gateway. IP's are all static. My card is detected (tried 2 different cards) and ifconfig and route show a connection to the card but there is no connection to the lan, can't ping the machine beside me.

I have re-installed and tried standard security.

This is my first experience with ML, used other linux for 5 yrs. so not a real newbie.

Any proceedure, instructions or pointers appreciated, this looks a great distro, if only it worked.

steve :(

Had this problem too. I guess mandrake automatically assumes everyone is one dhcp and uses zeroconf to set things up by default on the install. If you install again (don't have to or need to btw) when you get to the end with the configuration sections you can select network and specify things like ip, gateway and the like.

You can do this without re-installing by starting up the drakconf program and re-configuring from there.

Guest naturesteve

Done all that.

Ready to give up, another 1/2 day wasted and 2 installs of ML9.1. Who ever heard of networking not working in linux, who'd pay for this?.

TL went straight on and worked up front. ML looked good but can't play forever.

I'll pay for Suse and get something that works.

steve

Guest gnatman

I had basicaly the exact same problem. Although everything was configured correctly I couldnt get mandrake to connect to the internet on my machine, It worked fine on other machines in my home network, even using the same NIC, I can get a connection on every other machine in my house, but the one in my room will not work, eventually I just gave up and went to Red Hat. It would be very nice if I could get it to work though...I don't like Red Hat.

Guest naturesteve

I don't like redhat either. Finally got fed up and loaded suse8.2 today. What a quantum leap from ML9.1.

Shame, I was ready to buy 9.1

steve

Don't worry about it steve.. some distro just doesn't play well with certain hardware configuration. My experience in SuSE 8.2 is exactly the other way around with yours. I cannot get it to work just like I wanted to (nvnet and NVIDIA driver problem mostly) so it's back to mandrake for me. Since SuSE 8.2 works for you, congrats.