X Library Files Failing to Load

Guest lownote

Guest lownote

I'm attempting to do a first time install of 9.1 onto an old IBM TP 240 with a 6-gig HD, 196 megs of RAM and a very slow external CD-ROM drive through a SCSI PC card. I downloaded and created ISO disks 1 - 3 and finally got it loaded--this took about 5 hours because of the speed of the CD-ROM. However, when I rebooted I got an error message that there had been an error while loading shared libraries: libXmuu.so.1. I'm a complete novice in Linux, and being dumped into command mode has me stumped on how to fix this, particuarly with this terrible CD drive I have. Do you think these files are on my HD now and just need to be enabled? Or, will they need to be extracted from the install disks. I've tried several more "update" installations, but it is now hanging completely at the very last step--freeze with no cursor control. If someone could provide a roadmap or point me to a resource that will explain what I need to type t fix this, it would be most appreciated.

Welcome to linux! Really, it gets easier.

First, did you md5sum the iso's to make sure that they were correct? Often install probelms are related to corrupt downloads, which can yield a varied strangeness in responses.

Also, are you trying to boot into x, and x is failing? Try to do it in the console, startx, and then seeing what the errors are that are reported. The lib you are reporting as not loading is part of the XFree86 environment, which is used in linux to create windows. Perhaps reinstalling the XFree86-libs-xxx.rpm might do the trick

urpmi XFree86-libs

or

rpm -Uvh XFree86-libs

This must be done as root.

Perhaps the cdrom has commited errors when reading the data.

As far as I know, shared libs usually do not need to be enabled, and certain customized programs might need to be added to the path, but nothing in a standard install.

Guest lownote

Thank you for the prompt reply. First things first. I don't know what md5sum means and where to find it. The images are on my Win2000 machine with a CD burner. I did have some problems in EZ-CD Creator getting the disks to create without error reports and had to do both Dsk 1 and Disk 2 twice. Is md5sum available on W2000? If so, where do I find it and is it intuitive to use. I hate to sound so ignorant since I'm very comfortable in both the Mac and WinTel worlds. Just haven't done anything in UNIX, LINIX or other system that requires command line interface.

It was a while before I figured this out, too. Check out this link

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...p?p=32853#32853

for a good explanation and review of md5sum.

You should do this before proceeding with any other trouble shooting.

Guest lownote

I did check the code of the ISO downloads and everything was perfect although I couldn't figure out how to check the burned CDs on a windows machine. I moved on anyhow and this time installed on an older Dell destop that has a CD-ROM drive that turns at more than 100X per minute. The X library files loaded and I'm up with the KDE desktop in front of me. While it looks pretty, things don't seem to be very functional. Open Office is not loading and it is not finding my LAN DSL connection through a Linksys router, and clicking on the Mandrake GalaxyThis Compter brings up an error message:

Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/usr/share/applnk-mdk/Configuration/Mandrake Control Center.desktop does not exist.

Hopefully this isn't the only way to make changes in the configuration. I also wonder if this is related to some install problems. 4 packages refused to install even though I hit the "No" button during installation in an attempt to force their installation:

xine-ui-0.9.18-1mdk.i586

xmms-skins-1.0.0-3mdk.noarch

xlockmore-5.06-1mkd.i586

OpenOffice.org-help-en-1.02-7mdk.i586

I'll continue to putter about and check for help on this board as time permits. If you have any additional ideas for me on next steps to take, they would be genuinely appreciated.

Erik Hansen

Los Angeles

You can get to the Mandrake Control Center through the K menu (I think it's under Configuration) or you can click the little black tv-screen looking thing in the taskbar (Konsole) and type:

mcc

and hit enter. Then a popup window will pop up asking for the root password.

This error:

Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/usr/share/applnk-mdk/Configuration/Mandrake Control Center.desktop does not exist.

sounds like maybe it didn't get installed, though.

If the md5sum checks ok, then other areas I would consider:

The burner is having a problem. Burn at a slower speed.

Also, perhaps the media itself is flaky, so get a better disk.

I am suggesting these because:

different files at different times are having trouble installing. If the md5sum is correct, then the burner and media are suspect. The fact that it loads on two different machines with different problems may simply be the cdrom of the perspective machine's ability to read the faulty media.

I try to go from simple to more complex, and I think these are the most basic possiblities.