nvidia-settings

Yankee

Here we go (again). I installed 2007.1 and it ran really good. I installed beryl and it still ran good. I switched out my Geforce2 MX400 64MB for a Geforce FX5200 to run beryl. It booted up and hung....then it went and all was good. The hang was to install the driver for the 5200. Well I deceided to install the new driver from the nvidia site. Here is where it went south.

It said there was no kernel module so it compiled one. Well it didn't work. I gave it up and got it all going again, like it was with the 5200. I have no nvidia-settings I guess. When I enter it in the run box it won't do it even as root or anything. I can't find it. I've had this problem before and I just don't get it. I read about everyone else saying theirs don't work...mine don't exist I guess.

Here is what I have and they match the kernel etc:

dkms-nvidia97xx - NVIDIA kernel module for NVIDIA Architecture support​

Version: 1.0-9755.1mdv2007.1.i586

Currently installed version: 1.0-9755.1mdv2007.1

Architecture: i586

Size: 7961 KB

Medium: "Mandriva Linux - 2007.1 (Powerpack) - Installer"

nvidia97xx - NVIDIA module for X.org 7.2.0 server and OpenGL libraries​ 

Version: 1.0-9755.1mdv2007.1.i586

Currently installed version: 1.0-9755.1mdv2007.1

Size: 14077 KB

nvidia97xx-kernel-2.6.17-13mdv - nvidia97xx driver for Kernel 2.6.17-13mdv​ 

Version: 9755-1mdk.i586

Currently installed version: 9755-1mdk

Size: 2421 KB

Ok, all seems to run good but what's the deal?

Oh yea, for those looking for beryl info with the FX5200 it gets 240-250 FPS in the beryl benchmark.

The MX400 was about 60 FPS. No water-No snow effects. It just don't work on that card (shader from what I read).

With the FX5200 and the above you should be up and going. It's fun but I'll probally not use it much.

Thanks guys

Answer:

I guess Mandriva does not install nvidia-settings. I went and got the same exact driver from nvidia (1.0-9755) and it said it had to compile a kernel module (don't know why, it had one I think, it had to), and installed. It all works now.

One more question. Is there a better driver? I mean I know just because it is the newest etc, does not mean it is good for your system. Is there a better one for the FX5200 with Beryl? Etc? Just plain better?

The newest driver available from the NVidia website is version: 169.09

This version has a powermizer feature to minimize energy use that has hampered performance for some users. Have a look at this forum: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php?

I do not believe the 1.0-9755 driver you are using has powermizer, and that may be a good thing.