Mounting partitions [solved]

satelliteuser083

mdv2008 mounts win_c and win_d as write-protected, as opposed to mdv2006 which mounts them as read/write. Is it safe to replace the 2008 /etc/fstat entries

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat umask=0022,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat umask=0022,iocharset=utf8 0 0

with those from 2006

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

or has something else changed between 2006 and 2008? Sorry for this (possibly daft :unsure: ) question, but I'm always a bit chary about messing around with mount-attributes. Thanks.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

The change by itself is harmless. So you can try. You are aware, though, that this change makes the drive read-write for everyone, aren't you?

Actually, were I you, I'd rather change the "umask=0022" bit to "umask=0007,gid=NNN" where NNN is the group id where all users that must have read-write belong; others will not even have read access.

To know your groups, run the "id" command in a terminal.

Yves.

Actually, were I you, I'd rather change the "umask=0022" bit to "umask=0007,gid=NNN" where NNN is the group id where all users that must have read-write belong; others will not even have read access.

Many thanks, Yves, that worked well. :thumbs:

Just one extra thing; is it possible to apply the fstat-contents without having to reboot? Thanks again.

Yes. For the drive that is already mounted for which you want to apply changes, use the "remount" option. For your hda1 drive for example, you'd execute something like that (as root):

# mount -o remount /mnt/win_c

Yves.