XFree my nemesis

i have compiled the multimedia kernel for athlon-xp, all went fine and it runs great.

trying to rebuild the XFree src rpm for athlon-xp is not so simple

make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.3/xc/doc/man/GLU'

make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.3/xc/doc/man'

make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.3/xc/doc'

make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.3/xc'

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.3/xc'

Sun Apr 27 11:57:23 UTC 2003

Full build of XFree86 version 4.3.0 (27 February 2003) complete.

make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.3/xc'

++ basename mdk-fonts/mdk_08_koi8.bdf .bdf

+ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=xc/lib/font

+ xc/programs/bdftopcf/bdftopcf -o mdk-fonts/mdk_08_koi8.pcf mdk-fonts/mdk_08_koi8.bdf

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.97511: line 39: xc/programs/bdftopcf/bdftopcf: No such file or directory

error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.97511 (%build)

RPM build errors:

Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.97511 (%build)

[root@bob src_rpms]#

It says that the rebuild of XFree was complete then it can't find bdftopcf because it hasn't been compiled, the object code bdftopcf.o is in that directory but no executable.

All other executables seem to have been compiled

Hmmmm. I saved my build output when I did this just in case, and below is the relevant section, and the end where it wrote all the new athlon rpms. This is beyond my limited expertise, but apparently my build went right on into the fonts sections OK, and yours failed to find xc/programs/bdftopcf/bdftopcf at that point. Why that is, or what bdftopcf is, I don't know. Unless somebody replies with a solution first, I would try redownloading the XFree86 srpm, removing all traces of the previous reuilding process, and starting over. Maybe you got a corrupted download the first time. If it happens again, perhaps aru can help. If a new download works, please post back.

wrc1944

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.3/xc/doc/man/GLU'

make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.3/xc/doc/man'

make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.3/xc/doc'

make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.3/xc'

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.3/xc'

Mon Mar 31 02:37:21 EST 2003

Full build of XFree86 version 4.3.0 (27 February 2003) complete.

make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/XFree86-4.3/xc'

++ basename mdk-fonts/mdk_08_koi8.bdf .bdf

+ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=xc/lib/font

+ xc/programs/bdftopcf/bdftopcf -o mdk-fonts/mdk_08_koi8.pcf mdk-fonts/mdk_08_koi8.bdf

++ basename mdk-fonts/mdk_10_iso03.bdf .bdf

----------------------------------------------------------------------

HERE"S THE FINAL SECTION:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xterm.termcap

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xterm.terminfo

Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/XFree86-4.3-5mdk.athlon.rpm

Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.3-5mdk.athlon.rpm

Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.3-5mdk.athlon.rpm

Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/XFree86-cyrillic-fonts-4.3-5mdk.athlon.rpm

Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/XFree86-libs-4.3-5mdk.athlon.rpm

Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/XFree86-devel-4.3-5mdk.athlon.rpm

Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/XFree86-static-libs-4.3-5mdk.athlon.rpm

Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/XFree86-doc-4.3-5mdk.athlon.rpm

Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/XFree86-Xvfb-4.3-5mdk.athlon.rpm

Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/XFree86-Xnest-4.3-5mdk.athlon.rpm

Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/XFree86-server-4.3-5mdk.athlon.rpm

Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/XFree86-glide-module-4.3-5mdk.athlon.rpm

Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/XFree86-xfs-4.3-5mdk.athlon.rpm

Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/X11R6-contrib-4.3-5mdk.athlon.rpm

Executing(%clean): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.41232

+ umask 022

+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD

+ cd XFree86-4.3

+ rm -rf /var/tmp/XFree86-root

+ exit 0

Executing(--clean): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.41232

+ umask 022

+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD

+ rm -rf XFree86-4.3

+ exit 0

[root@localhost srpms]#

could you do a md5sum for that src.rpm so i can check mine.

I just found it funny that it would say the build is complete when it was not obviously.

bdftopcf is a font conversion program.

The srpm directory I downloaded from doesn't have the md5sums listed, but I can run it on the srpm I downloaded. Since there were no problems with this download and rebuild, I'm assuming it is the correct sum. Here it is:

[wrc1944@localhost wrc1944]$ cd /home/wrc1944/srpms

[wrc1944@localhost srpms]$ md5sum XFree86-4.3-5mdk.src.rpm

b8065970f5943d06962ca5b2fce80fae XFree86-4.3-5mdk.src.rpm

[wrc1944@localhost srpms]$

Hope this helps- keep us posted on your progress. I'm really curious as to what's going wrong with your srpm rebuild. If I think of anything else, I'll post back.

wrc1944

Sounds reasonable to me. Are you sure you have all the required packages installed? My MCC shows the following installed.

rpm-build

rpm-devel

rpm-python

rpm-rebuilder

rpmdrake

rpmlint

rpmstats

rpmtools

I also have many many devel and lib-devel packages installed, as recommended by Texstar and other people who rebuild srpms.

One other off the wall idea that I might try if nothing else worked would be to go into init 3, and try to rebuild the srpm without a GUI running. But that probably isn't the problem. You seem to be missing something that relates to the font conversion program.

I also have these packages installed, which might be related to your problem:

font-tools

freetype-devel

freetype-tools

freetype2-devel

libfontconfig1-devel

XFree86-devel

If you don't have any of these, perhaps that's it.

wrc1944

In /usr/X11R6/bin I have the bdftopcf executable. Do you have X11R6-contrib installed?

I could email you the bdftopcf I have, if necessary- it's only 6.1kb. Then you could copy it to the same location.

But first, make sure X11R6-contrib is installed- that might put bdftopcf on the system, I would think- but I'm really beyond my knowledge here, and am just going on trying to apply common sense as to why your rebuild is failing with no bdftopcf found.

wrc1944

Thanks for the help. I will check for all those dependencies when i get home again from work.

That bdftopcf executable is in my X11R6 bin but thats the i586 version, is there a way to resume a rpm rebuild from where the error occured?

The font conversion that happens in the rebuild uses the newly built bdftopcf executable not the one that is in the X11R6/bin folder.

I am really interested in getting this to rebuild as i have noticed significant performance improvements after rebuilding the mm kernel and all the sdl libraries for athlon xp.

Guest fubar::chi
is there a way to resume a rpm rebuild from where the error occured?

There sure is! Thank the guys on #plf for pointing this one out (it's in the man page but it sorta missed it, it's way down there.

rpm -bx --short-circuit /location/to/*.spec

x is whichever step you want to skip to. check the man page for more options (-bb is the best :D). Luckily the mdk guys patched rpm so that --short-circuit works with the other options (despite what the manpage says. Hope you haven't rebuilt yet (eh, not really :twisted: )

The font conversion that happens in the rebuild uses the newly built bdftopcf executable not the one that is in the X11R6/bin folder.

I am really interested in getting this to rebuild as i have noticed significant performance improvements after rebuilding the mm kernel and all the sdl libraries for athlon xp.

did you do anything special for the mm build except rpm --rebuid --target athlon mm-src.rpm? I got it to build but i wanted to compile the rpm specifically for an athlon while the rpm is building (is that what it does?) I'm clueless on kernel building

I got Xfree to build without problems as well. I dont remember what I used at the time but it might have something to do with your version of autoconf (or maybe automake).

is there a way to resume a rpm rebuild from where the error occured?

There sure is! Thank the guys on #plf for pointing this one out (it's in the man page but it sorta missed it, it's way down there.

rpm -bx --short-circuit /location/to/*.spec

x is whichever step you want to skip to. check the man page for more options (-bb is the best :D). Luckily the mdk guys patched rpm so that --short-circuit works with the other options (despite what the manpage says. Hope you haven't rebuilt yet (eh, not really :twisted: )

did you do anything special for the mm build except rpm --rebuid --target athlon mm-src.rpm? I got it to build but i wanted to compile the rpm specifically for an athlon while the rpm is building (is that what it does?) I'm clueless on kernel building

I got Xfree to build without problems as well. I dont remember what I used at the time but it might have something to do with your version of autoconf (or maybe automake).

thanks for the tip about resuming a rebuild!

And i haven't tried a rebuild yet :)

My version of autoconf & automake will be the standard 9.1 ones.

All i did for the kernel rebuild was the rpm --rebuid --target athlon mm-src.rpm

after editing the rpmrc file as sugested by wrc1944

optflags: athlon -O3 -march=athlon-xp -mcpu=athlon-xp -mmmx -msse -m3dnow -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -ffast-math -fforce-addr -fno-strength-reduce

Guest fubar::chi
And i haven't tried a rebuild yet  :)

durn! :evil:

My version of autoconf & automake will be the standard 9.1 ones.

All i did for the kernel rebuild was the rpm --rebuid --target athlon mm-src.rpm

after editing the rpmrc file as sugested by wrc1944

optflags: athlon -O3 -march=athlon-xp -mcpu=athlon-xp -mmmx -msse -m3dnow -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -ffast-math -fforce-addr -fno-strength-reduce

i don't think you need -mcpu and -march in there. It's either or. -mcpu keeps compatibility with older amds and -march fully optimizes for athlon-xp therefore it may not work on older amds. I don't know which overrides which.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...p?p=33496#33496 has more info

Ok success! :D

I found some of the rpms that wrc1944 mention were not installed, i also removed the -mcpu=athlon-xp instruction from the rpmrc file.

And i logged out of X before rebuilding.

So i don't know which thing exactly helped, but at least it worked!

Thanks for the help :)

Great news! However, you didn't mention if you installed the new Athlon XFree86 packages yet.  Let us know how it goes.

wrc1944

Bad It went badly!

I did

rpm -Uvh *.rpm --replacepkgs --replacefiles

but that didn't work as i ran out of space on the / partition, then everything stopped working correctly.

I ended up having to reinstall(keeping home).

Oh well at least with the enterprise kernel i get to use all my ram, I will rebuild that kernel and try again.

Good for me that i keep all my game installs on the /home partition.

I might actually start from scratch and follow that mandrake-ala-gentoo guide, which will take some time.