Can't boot 2006 [solved]

satelliteuser083

Since installation of mva2008 I can no longer boot into mva2006 :wall: . I select 2006 from the grub-menu and am presented with a grub prompt; haven't got a clue what to do with that. As far as I can see, 2006 is still intact, so why it refuses to boot is a mystery. The /boot/grub/menu.lst on the 2006-partition contains

timeout 10
shade 1
viewport 3 2 77 22
splashimage (hd0,8)/boot/grub/mdv-grub_splash.xpm.gz
default 0

title linux-2006
kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb-2006
kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6

title failsafe-2006
kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6

title windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Can anyone help me out in restoring boot to this partition? Thanks.

BTW, I've noticed a script /mnt/mva2006/boot/grub/install.sh; is it safe to run that FROM 2008, or is it likely to render 2008 unbootable?

Edited by satelliteuser083

Chances are the grub being used is the one in the 2008 install, so we'd need to see the /boot/grub/menu.lst from 2008 to figure out what's wrong.

Here it is:

timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,6)/boot/gfxmenu
default 0

title mdv2008
kernel (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=mdv2008 root=/dev/hda7  resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,6)/boot/initrd.img

title mdv2008-nonfb
kernel (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=mdv2008-nonfb root=/dev/hda7  resume=/dev/hda6

title failsafe
kernel (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/hda7  failsafe

title windows
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

However, this may not be the significant one. Its grub-loader is in block 0 of THE SAME partition (hda7). The menu.lst used by the loader in the MBR is on hda8 (le2005); this contains:

timeout 20
default 3 

title linux 2005
kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda8 acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,7)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda8 splash=silent acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6

title failsafe
kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda8 failsafe splash=silent acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6 devfs=nomount

title linux mva2008
root (hd0,6)
chainloader +1

title linux 2006
root (hd0,8)
chainloader +1

title windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

It all looks OK to me.

BTW le2005 still boots correctly, using lilo

this:

title linux 2006

root (hd0,8)

chainloader +1

should probably be:

title linux-2006

kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda9 acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent vga=788

I'd also change this:

title linux mva2008

root (hd0,6)

chainloader +1

to this:

title mdv2008

kernel (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=mdv2008 root=/dev/hda7 resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent vga=788

You should use the loader in the MBR to boot all your systems, not use it to send to another grub on a separate partition. This is not ideal and may be where your problem lies, if this is how you have it set up. Honestly, it seems like your grub setup has become far too complex - don't duplicate things, keep everything in one grub and use it to boot all your systems.

Many thanks, tyme, 2006 is now back on-line.

The grub structure on this hdd stems from the bad old days ;) of mdk10.1, when, if I remember correctly, I had difficulty booting directly into a partition and had to use the indirect method. This is ESSENTIAL, BTW, when booting Windoze (at least, in my box it is). I've remained with it, since it has always worked, but now is probably the time for a reassessment. Once again, many thanks. :thumbs: