Copy MDK CDs to DVD?

Steve Scrimpshire

I've read that some people copy their CDs to a parition on their HD and use them that way instead of having to change CDs constantly when installing stuff. I cannot find that tutorial again to try to translate it to burning a DVD that contains all the CDs (well, the 3 that come with the Standard Edition). I tried just burning a DVD with them, but after I add the source (with no errors, BTW) and try to install something contained on it, I get this error:

Bad, unreadable or not found packages

That's the error reported by rpmdrake. In the console that I start rpmdrake from, I see this output:

[root@localhost omar]# rpmdrake

release found: 8.1

449 installed packages found!

unable to parse correctly [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.dvd.cz]

/var/cache/urpmi/rpms/gimp-1.2.2-6mdk.i586.rpm

Do I need to somehow make a separate hdlist for each CD when I burn it onto the DVD? Or just pointing me to the tutorial on how to add the disks to a partition and I can translate it to my needs. TIA

Thanks for the thought. I could not find the post. I'm on dialup. I use 8.1 (forgot to say that). As soon as 9.1 comes out in the stores, I'm going to get it, or I may even order the DVD only from MandrakeSoft, but I don't want to pre-order, especially from a company on the brink of bankruptcy.

Just burning all three disks to dvd gave me the problem of it saying it couldn't read the hdlist (probably because there is more than one hdlist to choose from). It would add the media just fine with no complaints with urpmi.addmedia, but would not install from it. So, I cheated a little and did:

urpmi.addmedia dvd file://mnt/dvd/Mandrake/RPMS with /mnt/dvd/Mandrake/base/hdlist1.cz

urpmi.addmedia dvd2 file://mnt/dvd/Mandrake/RPMS2 with /mnt/dvd/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

urpmi.addmedia dvd4 file://mnt/dvd/Mandrake/RPMS4 with /mnt/dvd/Mandrake/base/hdlist4.cz

which doesn't really work all that great. The one problem I've had in the past and still have is that if I install or upgrade a package that requires an upgrade in locales, it always says that it cannot find package locales, no matter how many ftp sources I have.

Another problem I have is that it seems to search the ftp sources first instead of installing the same packages from disk (this happened even with the MDK Cds themselves as sources) and it didn't matter how I rearranged the sources in /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg (thought it would help).

Eagerly awaiting 9.1's release in stores.