Trying to triple boot [solved]

xboxboy

Hi guys,

I am having trouble configuring grub to run my third os I've installed.

On hard disk 1 I have two partitions, The first having windows, the second purely windows data (its a drive d: under windows)

On hard disk two I have Mandriva 2008 installed, I have a swap partition, a /home partition.

This was working fine.

I have then installed Mandrake 9.0 for old times sake, and of course it overwrote the boot process so I could boot to windows and mandrake 9. I was aware of this and expected it. Mandrake 9 is installed on hdb7.

I used the mandriva 2008 disk to rescue the bootloader so I am able to boot windows or Mandriva 2008.

All the instructions I have been able to find on the web talk about a /etc/grub.conf file. I dont have this.

I have been able to find /boot/menu.lst

I tried to modify the boot process in mcc, but couldnt understand it or get it to work.

I copied the mandrake 9 vmlinuz, initrd and system map to the mandriva /boot.

I then added the following to /boot/menu.lst

title Mandrake 9.0

root (hd1,6)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4** root=/dev/hdb7

This is from some intructions I found on the net, but when I try to boot into mandrake 9 it stalls at finding module dependancies (wording not correct but something like that).

Any help is most appreciated.

Edited by xboxboy

There's no such thing as /boot/menu.lst

You probably mean /boot/grub/menu.lst

Try changing root=/dev/hdb7 with root=/dev/sdb7 (device naming scheme changed since the libata switch).

And you haven't put any initrd info in there. Add it next line to the kernel info you've inserted. ( initrd /boot/foo.img )

Hi all,

I've tried a couple of different set ups, but still with no avail. :(

Here is the Mandriva 2008 menu.lst file- I want to use this grub as the menu.

timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd1,0)/boot/gfxmenu
default 3

title linux
kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/hdb1 resume=/dev/hdb5 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/hdb1 resume=/dev/hdb5

title failsafe
kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/hdb1 failsafe

title windows
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title linux Mandrake 9.0
kernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb7 devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi quiet vga=788
initrd (hd1,6)/boot/initrd.img

Here is the Mandrake 9.0 menu.lst

timeout 10
i18n (hd1,6)/boot/grub/messages
keytable (hd1,6)/boot/us-latin1.klt
altconfigfile (hd1,6)/boot/grub/menu.once
default 2

title linux
kernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb7 devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi quiet vga=788

title linux-nonfb
kernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb7 devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi

title linux-enterprise
kernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz-enterprise root=/dev/hdb7 devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi
initrd (hd1,6)/boot/initrd-enterprise.img

title failsafe
kernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb7 devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi failsafe

title NT
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title floppy
root (fd0)
chainloader +1

I hope this can clear things up.

Thanks all

You are using the same vmlinuz and initrd.img for Mandriva 2008 and Mandrake 9. Also you are using root=/dev/hdb1 for Mandriva 2008 so you should also use /dev/hdb7 for the Mandrake entry.

Try using the modified menu bellow (don't forget to copy vmlinuz and initrd.img from Mandrake's /boot to Mandriva's /boot and renaming them to vmlinuz-mdk9 and initrd-mdk9.img)

timeout 10
gfxmenu (hd1,0)/boot/gfxmenu
default 3

title linux
kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/hdb1 resume=/dev/hdb5 splash=silent vga=788

title linux-nonfb
kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/hdb1 resume=/dev/hdb5

title failsafe
kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/hdb1 failsafe

title windows
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title linux Mandrake 9.0
kernel (hd1,6)/boot/vmlinuz-mdk9 root=/dev/hdb7 devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi quiet vga=788
initrd (hd1,6)/boot/initrd-mdk9.img

With GRUB, you do not need to copy anything from the Mandrake /boot. All you need to do is list the correct kernel and image with the correct drive/partition. I have as many as 5 operating systems at any time and I use just one GRUB record to run it all. I do not chainload any of them, except windows, of course. B) The last install you did is the GRUB that is controlling the boot, in this case the rescue with 2008. Just edit that one.

The syntax of the line is:

{GRUB instruction} (drive, partition) {kernel location on that partition} {graphic image location} {system location} {swap location} {boot splash} {screen resolution}

Note that GRUB starts its numbering with 0, rather than 1. So the location of the boot is the GRUB numbering, but the location in the line is standard /dev numbering. That is why the first partition is 0 at the beginning {hd0, 0}, but 1 in the line {/dev/hda1}.

When I specify the kernel and initrd in the mandrake 9 partition /boot, and I have mandrake 9 partition as root it gets part way through booting and then stalls at Finding module dependencies.

What am I doing wrong here?

I copied vmlinuz and initrd to /boot on mandriva partition, but same problem, as soka recommended.

Its got to be something simple. I tried for hours last night, its driving me insane :)

Thanks for everyones help so far

Ah, what do you know, I got it to work. It was so simple!

Silly me forgot I had trouble installing it. When I installed it I has to remove my usb devices, I was sure it was the mouse but I remove usb hub and printer.

Unplug printer and hub, use a ps2 mouse and it boots easy peasy! When mandrake 9 is running I can plug the printer in, its detected in the usb devices. Plug the usb hub in and bang total system freeze!

So it seems my hub is the problem....

Anyway thankyou to all who gave up their time.