update problem

Guest Supah_Rob

Guest Supah_Rob

Hello everyone.

When I first installed mdk a few weeks ago, when I ran mandrake update it used the 3 cd's as some of the sources it updated from. Well I went to the software sources manager and added some sources, and now it will no longer use the 3 cd's. This is a problem since I need some software off the cd's.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions (I know very little about this stuff) of how to put the 3 cd's back as viable sources of software?

Thanks,

Rob

Generally, update does not use the CD's. If it did, my guess would be that there were some dependencies that were being solved by using the CD's.

If you need to install software that is on the CD's, that is a very different thing from updating the software that is already on your system. Simply go to the Mandrake Control Center -> Package Management -> Install Software and type in the name of the software you want to install. This will install it from the CD's.

He's not referring to Mandrake Update but rather adding sources like with urpmi but through rpmdrake...correct? If so, open the Sources Manager and uncheck the sources you do not want used, in this case leaving only the CD's, then click the update button. Now, all that will be available to you is what's on the CD's. When you want a source back, just go back to the Sources Manager and check off what you want and click update. If you are on the internet and click update it'll update the source. If you are not on the internet it'll just add the current source config. Same with the CD's....if there is a CD inserted it will update the source from the CD. The 3 CD's remain the same so you don't need to "update" them but just add them back into available sources. Just check them off and click update. This is how it worked in 9.0....I haven't messed with it yet in 9.1, but it should be the same.

Guest Supah_Rob

The rpmdrake thing, yes thats it exactly. Problem is, that in the sources manager, the 3 cd's are no longer there :( They WERE there, but for some reason they are now gone. I have gotten around it temporarily by copying the contents of all 3 cd's to a directory on my HD, but I sure would like to have that space back.

I tried to add the 3 cd's back by creating an entry pointing to my cd drive, but that didn't seem to work (dont remember the exact error).

I am willing to try anything to get that space back, but remember, I know very lilttle about linux (but I am learning more every day)

Take care,

Rob

Either with a filemanager or in a terminal look in /var/lib/urpmi

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ ls /var/lib/urpmi

compssUsers.flat

descriptions.update_source

hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz

hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz

hdlist.International CD (x86) (cdrom3).cz

hdlist.update_source.cz

synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz

synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz

synthesis.hdlist.International CD (x86) (cdrom3).cz

synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz

[bvc@localhost bvc]$

Are all of these there? If so, open a terminal (konsole, rxvt, xterm) and type (case sensitive and all_one_word);

MandrakeUpdate

Now watch the printed messages....are all three cd's checked? If they're not there, let me know and I'll tell you how to get them back....basically, you copy them off of CD1 and run urpmi.addmedia Installation CD 1 and so on....(if I remember correctly)

Now su to root by typing;

su <Enter>

then enter roots password <Enter>

and run;

rpm --rebuilddb <Enter>

and

rpm --initdb <Enterm>

anytime rpm, urpmi, or rpmdrake (anything rpm) acts weird, do these 2 commands above, or at least the first.

Open the sources manager and see if they're there.

Here are some very good links to using urpmi..

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/basics/brpm3.html

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jwrobinson/docs...owto/index.html

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php

Usually, you can delete all your urpmi sources. Then verify they are all gone by viewing your /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg file. Should be empty.

Then urpmi.addmedia each of the CD's back and use the last link above to find some updates, contribs, and plf sources.

To save Supah_Rob any possible confusion.....urpmi is basically the SourceManager in a commandline interface (terminal). :wink: It give you a lot more control and you can watch everything as it happens.

offtopic (sorta): Does the --noclean option work in 9.1? anybody?