Mandriva 2008 with Speedtouch 330 [solved]

Guest Stoat

Greeting!

I'm not an expert with Linux, but have been using Mandriva for a while, previously 2007 now 2008 without too many problems. I recently upgraded my PC to a Core 2 Duo and installed the X86_64 version of Mandriva 2008. Everything seemed to work fine except I can't connect to the internet using my Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem.

I set up the modem in the same way I had with the non-64 version using the wizard in system configuration, DSL, PPPoA, selected the same firmware etc. The modem seems to initialise ok, after 30 seconds or so, I get two green lights, so i'm fairly confident the modem side is ok.

When I try to connect to the internet, it eventually says "No connected, verify your settings" etc, looking in the system log it appears to be failing because it's trying to load plugin /usr/lib/pppoa.so, however this doesn't exist and but there is one in /usr/lib64/pppoa.so. Strangely despite extensive searching i've not managed to find anyone with this problem (?!), any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Recycle it.

The problem in your case is not the modem itself, but rather with the way ndiswrapper works under x86_64, but Speedtouch is the definition of BAD hardware.

Our national provider in Greece (OTE) gives a SpeedTouch with every new subscription, but so far some 90% of its subscribers opt for another modem/router (and almost all of them are windoze users!).

Edited by scarecrow

Shame, I know quite a few people have had problems with this modem, but for me, it's worked for quite a few years in a number of versions. I assume this is a problem with the 64 bit version and I could just reinstall the 32 bit version of Mandriva which worked before?

Thanks for your help

Edited by Stoat

looking in the system log it appears to be failing because it's trying to load plugin /usr/lib/pppoa.so, however this doesn't exist and but there is one in /usr/lib64/pppoa.so.

Before you give up on the 64-bit version, you could try making a symlink to where it's trying to load it from. As root in a terminal do

ln -s /usr/lib64/pppoa.so /usr/lib/pppoa.so

see if that works?

Welcome to the board! :)

Thanks a lot for that!

I copied the contents of the pppd inside lib64 to a new folder inside lib, this did get it working, but meant running the config wizard would update the wrong files and need copying each time, then I got your message, tried your link and that works perfectly!! Wahoo!

The path I originally gave was actually incorrect (from memory), so for anyone who has the same problem, Greg2's link would be:-

ln -s /usr/lib64/pppd /usr/lib/pppd

Thanks again! :D