Intellimouse Explorer was working, now kaput

Guest tslugmo

Guest tslugmo

My mouse isn't working. :( I modified XF86Config-4 and installed imwheel in order to get the side buttons to work on my Intellimouse Explorer, and this worked fine. I followed the instructions here. I was excited to be able to browse using the forward and back buttons on my mouse (a sign of how poorly my first Linux experience is going). Upon reboot, however, the mouse does not register. The search for new hardware in bootup fails. I also noticed that hda1 doesn't mount, when it used to before. I changed the settings so that X doesn't run .xinitrc, which is the script that runs imwheel and xmodmap at startup, rebooted, and it doesn't help.

The light on my optical mouse lights up when I move it, and it works in Windows, so I know the mouse and USB port works. I've switched ports, but to no avail. I don't have a USB to PS2 converter. I feel like I should be able to use a USB mouse, though. I can print to my USB printer. I mean, this OS is supposed to be better, or at least as good as, Windows. I sure get a lot of applications crashing for such a stable OS. For now I'm taking your guys' word that this will all be worth it once I get all the bugs worked out...

Any tips?

Thanks,

tslugmo

Guest tslugmo

I tried running mousedrake as root before, but this didn't seem to do anything to fix the problem.

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection

I changed "Protocol" from the default to PS/2. Strangely, I'm writing this from Mandrake, as I booted it up to get this information, and the mouse mysteriously started working again. I had done probably 10 reboots before now, and none of them made the mouse work. I'm going to do a few more reboots and see if this is fixed. Then I'm going to resume the imwheel side-button script. Strangely hda1 is not mounting still, but I guess I'll post that in a new post. I'm going to have quite a few going on this board, unfortunately...

-tslugmo

You're missing

Option "Buttons" "7"

in your config.

Strangely hda1 is not mounting still, but I guess I'll post that in a new post. I'm going to have quite a few going on this board, unfortunately...
Yes it's unfortunate, but keep'em comming :)

Guest tslugmo

Yeah, actually, I deleted that portion thinking it might help to get my mouse back. Once my mouse came back I put that line back in. Good eyes, though.

-tslug