Help for Linux Newbie with CD and Sound

davidw55

I am very new to Linux, so I am not sure what I need to change to get my CD-ROM and Sound working in 9.1 (I am assuming it does not matter which desktop env. you are using, I have been using both KDE and GNOME). In the Mandrake Control Center, it has setup the devices and recognizes that I have a Creative SB Live! Value (CT4780) Sound Card, and a SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148F (48x CD-ROM). However, anytime I try to access the CD-ROM it looks like it tries to poll the floppy instead in either the file manager or in a browse window. I am guessing I need to change a configuration file somewhere to get this working. Likewise, I cannot get any sound to come out of my Harmon/Kardon speakers. I am running a Dell Dimension 8100 1.4Ghz, 256MB RAM, Maxtor 60GB HD (Dual Boot).

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks...

David

open Mandrake control center -> hardware -> hardware list

select the sound card run the config tool in the dropdown list make sure the driver selected is the emu10k drivers not the audigy driver. hit ok that should do it.

If emu10k was selected already open program menu -> multimedia -> sound ->aumix

and check the volumes.

as for the cdrom post the contents of you /etc/fstab file.

open Mandrake control center -> hardware -> hardware list

select the sound card  run the config tool in the dropdown list make sure the driver selected is the emu10k drivers not the audigy driver. hit ok that should do it.

If emu10k was selected already open program menu -> multimedia -> sound ->aumix  

and check the volumes.

as for the cdrom post the contents of you /etc/fstab file.

johnnyv, Thanks a LOT! That did the trick. For some reason when Linux was installed evidently it set it to audigy instead of emu10k.

As for the fstab file here are its contents:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Obviously, I don't understand all (or most) of this yet, but the none by the cdrom looks kind of suspect. Could that be the problem? Thanks again!

David

Quick test for your CD-ROM drive. Put a CD in the drive, then open a terminal and type "ls /mnt/cdrom". If that works it means we will have to play with your desktop.

Other wise try changing the line to:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

Quick test for your CD-ROM drive. Put a CD in the drive, then open a terminal and type "ls /mnt/cdrom".  If that works it means we will have to play with your desktop.

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the terminal command first. Only thing it gave me was input/output error. So, then I changed the line in fstab, guess that was a mistake, because after I did, the little cd-rom icon on the desktop went away, and when I use a file manager to look into mnt it still lists the floppy and cd-rom but the file type for both says "locked directory." Seems as though the one line for the cd-rom affected the floppy too, is this possible? Any other advice would be welcome, since neither of these devices are working now.

David

BTW, I forgot to mention that I was logged in with root access when I used the file manager. When you click on either the floppy or cd-rom in fm it displays the following:

file:/mnt/cdrom doesn't seem to exist anymore

Here is a screenshot of the error:

snapshot1.png

Hope this helps... Thanks...

David

It might be a supermount problem. Try changing your fstab entry for your cdrom to this:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,ro,umask=0,user,nodev 0 0

Save the changes and right click on an open area on your desktop. Go to Create New>CD/DVD-ROM Device. In the popup window, click on the Device tab; in the Device field, click on the arrow to expose the drop down menu and select /dev/hdc (/mnt/cdrom) then click OK. This will create a new CDROM icon on your desktop. Put in a data CD and click on the icon. Konqueror should open and list the contents of the CD.

The 3rd field already has the device entry so the 1st field does not need it.

It might be a supermount problem. Try changing your fstab entry for your cdrom to this:  

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,ro,umask=0,user,nodev 0 0

Once again, there is no need to repeat the device entry in the first field.

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
I would suggest going back to ur old entry (shown above). I have a similar entry for my cdrom and it works just fine. Make sure that the disc u r inserting is not an audio CD. It should be a data CD. After inserting the disc, run
ls /mnt/cdrom