how much ram do i need? is 256 enough?

Peep

I have a 300mhz PII and 160mb ram. Apache is running and it isn't slow at all.

rcxau

Are you using XFree and KDE/Gnome at the same time, XFree with light WM or just console? I mean, I think 160 MB should be enough for apache with light X use. My friend has a similar computer he is about to give away and I am curious if I can make it to use.

i added another 128mb stick of pc100 SDRAM and it seems to have helped a lot. i had pretty much settled on using gnome even with the 256, but with 384mb the computer doesn't seem to use the swap at all, at least under normal load.

the evolution issues (sporadic long delays while doing normal tasks) seem to have gone away, but that could either be the memory or just me hammering out my own issues as i learn my way around linux. i've reinstalled no fewer than 15 times in the last several months... :oops: but each time i learn something else and it always runs better than it was before reinstalling. i'd like to attribute that to my own prowess, but maybe it's just because M$ no longer has a presence on my hard drive. :P