Easier dialup connection?

Guest Linz

Hi!

A friend of mine uses a ISDN dial-up connection to get on the internet. I haven't tried it myself, but he says that he has to enter the network configuration to start the connection. Are there any easier solutions to this? Maybe just an icon on the desktop to connect/disconnect?

I think you are going to have to be more specific to get an answer. What exactly do you mean he has to enter the network configuration to dialup? Is his ISDN card supported by Linux (e.g. can he see it in harddrake?)? Maybe that is the problem.

His ISDN card are supported by and functioning in linux/mdk9.1. But as he has stated it to me, he thinks it's a little too complicated to enter mcc -> drakconnect and from there establish the connection. This is the issue...are there some other way to establish the connection besides doing it from mcc/drakconnect? Are the connection a running service, so it can be started within a script or something?

This is the way I have been told he does it, so I'm afraid I can't be much more specific than that. I haven't touched drakconnect since I connect to the internet at startup via dhcp/dsl.

Almost all those little applets that handle ppp conections have an option for ippp conections. Just use one of those (one of those, which I used for a long time, is the gnome-ppp-applet if I don't remember bad).

If you prefer to write an script, tell your friend to have a look at:

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/cisdn.html

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/cisdn2.html

If your friend needs them, I can post my own ISDN scripts. But following the above articles should be enough