Live CD won't boot

Guest carl

I downloaded the 2007 Spring Mandriva One CD, burned it to a disc, and it refuses to boot. I tried it on my desktop first, the first time it wouldn't boot at all, the second time I used the non-graphical method, which got me to the login, I logged in as root and tried startx and startkde with no success, the third time I used the graphical method and it got all the way to the login screen and no matter what login name I used it kept telling me incorrect login. Is there a particular login name I need to use in order to access this? On my laptop, I get about a million errors, mainly it can't mount the bin, dev, lib, linuxrc, live proc, or sys files, it says invalid argument. The last error I get says init: Bummer, can't write to log on /dev/vc/5!, then takes me to a command prompt. Would it be easier to just download the 3 cd's and try to install them, or will I have the same problems with them?

I've still had absolutely no luck with this live cd on either my desktop or laptop, although I may have figured out the problem with the laptop. I downloaded the i586 version, and my laptop's architechture is x86. When booting it on my desktop, I played with the different boot options, the only way I could get it to startx was to change the resolution to 640x480, disable acpi, and then I get a red screen with a pointer and that's it. Any other way, regardless of what login name I use it refuses me access. I am running an AMD Sempron 2600+ with 512 Mb DDR2 ram, not the most up to date system but surely not too old to run 2007.1. Any ideas?

Yeah, I agree with Jim. I wonder if something's gone screwy with your iso... would not be the first time. Also, if hardware is somehow an issue, have you thought about trying the 2008.0 live cd? That's a shot in the dark, but it might work. Good luck.

~Mitchell

Rather odd, I checked the iso image and couldn't find an md5sum, entirely possible the download is corrupted, I may try to download it again and see what happens. Or, I may just try the 2008 full install set and see how that works.