Sharing data between Mandriva versions

satelliteuser083

Yup. that works; many thanks. I'd completely forgotten about /etc/rc.local, haven't used it for some time :huh: .

WRT "codepage=...", I'd already tried removing that, without success. Not important, it's been solved now.

Many thanks also to all of you others who helped. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Before leaving this thread, I've just got one more request. All of this fiddling with the partition has made me realise that I need to back it up (should have been doing it ages ago, careless me :D ) Anyway, is there a simple app/script out there which will copy the data from the partition to an external HDD, but only copying THE DIFFERENCES to last time, i.e. only copying those files that are newer or didn't previously exist on the back-up (if I'm making myself clear)? Thanks again.

[...]I need to back it up (...) Anyway, is there a simple app/script out there which will copy the data from the partition to an external HDD, but only copying THE DIFFERENCES to last time

In my opinion, you'll have a better ergonomy/usability by using an rsync-based backup system: while only the differences are stored each time, you have the appearance of several full snapshots.

Yves.

I looked at the rsync solution, Yves, but it looked a bit too complicated for me at the moment. Thanks, anyway, though; I'll definitely return to it. :thumbs:

In fact, I went for your recommendation, coverup, backing up with tar. It works well and I've even recovered the data once so I know that it works both ways B) .

WRT to your suggestion earlier in this thread, coverup, when you said "...Your shared files will now be in /home/username/data; filebrowsing is easier that way ...", I now can't get Konqueror to display the partition's contents under my /home directory. I can't understand this because I'm pretty sure that it DID work once (under 2006). The data is definitely on the partition but just can't be displayed. Is it necessary to tweek Konqueror's configuration or something? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: OK, perhaps the reboot fixed it - I'm convinced that I didn't - because the partition is now displayed as expected. :D Many thanks for everyone's help :thumbs:

Edited by satelliteuser083

Oops, have to go back a step. :huh: On the partition which I've now mounted onto my ~/home directory there is a root-directory '/lost+found'; this causes the backup-script (found at http://linuxgazette.net/issue47/pollman.html) to crash. I've tried using the -X option in tar to exclude the directory from the backup, but tar still crashes. Perhaps I've misunderstood the -X option or there's an easier way of overcoming this problem Any tips, anyone? Thanks.