Hardware diagnostic tools for Linux?

Guest greeneggs

Guest greeneggs

Are there any hardware diagnostic tools for Linux in an easy-to-install RPM format that will allow me to check my motherboard, processor, RAM, power supply, all chips, sound card, raphics card - EVERYTHING and then print out a report that I can copy and paste in this forum?. I know someone mentioned a tool that tests RAM earlier but I'm talking about something similar to SSandrasoft or norton diagnostics for Windows that I can use to get a complete report on the staus/condition of my system and detect any conflicts or problems.

Thank's

Not that I have every heard of. Although you may want to check out LM_sensors. It is a plugin for gkrellm that, if your motherboard supports it, wil report on various parts of your motherboard. These include cpu temp, fan speeds, hard drive rpm, voltages, etc. May provide you a clue as to what is going on.

As far as memory is concern, this is something that you need to check outside of any OS. Download memtest86, place it on a floppy and boot into it to test your ram. This is the best way of doing it. Otherwise, the OS takes up a fair bit of ram and it also reserves ram making is next to impossible to successfully test all your ram. Memtest86 only uses a few kb of ram allowing for a full low level test of ram.

http://www.memtest86.com

Are there any hardware diagnostic tools for Linux in an easy-to-install RPM format that will allow me to check my motherboard, processor, RAM, power supply, all chips, sound card, raphics card - EVERYTHING and then print out a report that I can copy and paste in this forum?.
Its complex with bits and pieces lying around in several places. But the /proc directory has tons of info.

/proc/cpuinfo - info about the CPU

/proc/pci - info about all PCI/AGP bus devices (tells u about the motherboard too)

/proc/ide - info about all IDE bus devices

/proc/devices - all devices connected to the system

/proc/mounts - all currently mounted file-systems

/proc/meminfo - info about system RAM

/var/log - various log files

/var/log/XFree86.*.log - XFree log files (video card info)

I know someone mentioned a tool that tests RAM.
memtest86

Its used in the industry too. Its independent of the OS. It is used at boot up to test RAM. LM9.1 has an rpm (get it from ftp://ftp.univie.ac.at/systems/linux/Mand...6/Mandrake/RPMS ).

Guest greeneggs
Not that I have every heard of. Although you may want to check out LM_sensors. It is a plugin for gkrellm that, if your motherboard supports it, wil report on various parts of your motherboard. These include cpu temp, fan speeds, hard drive rpm, voltages, etc. May provide you a clue as to what is going on.

As far as memory is concern, this is something that you need to check outside of any OS. Download memtest86, place it on a floppy and boot into it to test your ram. This is the best way of doing it. Otherwise, the OS takes up a fair bit of ram and it also reserves ram making is next to impossible to successfully test all your ram. Memtest86 only uses a few kb of ram allowing for a full low level test of ram.

http://www.memtest86.com

Ok, thank's. I just downloaded the memtest86 RPM file. So now I copy the RPM file to a floppy and boot up with it -or- do I have to actually install the RPM onto a floppy and how is that done?.

Thanks

Guest greeneggs
Are there any hardware diagnostic tools for Linux in an easy-to-install RPM format that will allow me to check my motherboard, processor, RAM, power supply, all chips, sound card, raphics card - EVERYTHING and then print out a report that I can copy and paste in this forum?.
Its complex with bits and pieces lying around in several places. But the /proc directory has tons of info.

/proc/cpuinfo - info about the CPU

/proc/pci - info about all PCI/AGP bus devices (tells u about the motherboard too)

/proc/ide - info about all IDE bus devices

/proc/devices - all devices connected to the system

/proc/mounts - all currently mounted file-systems

/proc/meminfo - info about system RAM

/var/log - various log files

/var/log/XFree86.*.log - XFree log files (video card info)

I know someone mentioned a tool that tests RAM.
memtest86

Its used in the industry too. Its independent of the OS. It is used at boot up to test RAM. LM9.1 has an rpm (get it from ftp://ftp.univie.ac.at/systems/linux/Mand...6/Mandrake/RPMS ).

Would it be helpful if I posted any info in my proc folder here?.

Ok, thank's. I just downloaded the memtest86 RPM file. So now I copy the RPM file to a floppy and boot up with it -or- do I have to actually install the RPM onto a floppy and how is that done?.

Thanks

Where did you get an rpm from? The only thing available on that site are either binaries (for windows), ISO's or source files. You will have to compile the source files and then do a direct copy of the binary onto a floppy. I am not sure what the command is for the copy but I believe it is dd source destination. Check the man page for the exact sintax.

Guest greeneggs

Thanks

Where did you get an rpm from? The only thing available on that site are either binaries (for windows), ISO's or source files. You will have to compile the source files and then do a direct copy of the binary onto a floppy. I am not sure what the command is for the copy but I believe it is dd source destination. Check the man page for the exact sintax.

I got the RPM from: http://www.rpmfind.net

RPM is for installation only. So install it. If u r using lilo as ur boot loader, check /etc/lilo.conf to verify that it has an entry for memtest86. Next, as root, run
lilo -v

. Next time u reboot, mem-test86 will be a boot option. Just select it and u can run all sorts of tests.

Or you can do what the file notes say and use the iso to make a floppy. Since it is not os dependent, you can use it anywhere.

I would definitely suggest going the floppy route, it provides you a tool that you can use on any computer, regardless of OS, to check if the memory is okay.

BTW, to do a full test, depending on the amount of ram you have, you are looking at several hours. And the longer you run the tests, the better the results. Some errors only show up after the computer has been in use for sometime.

Best advice, set it up to run overnight and then go to bed and check the results in morning. If you do a complete -- extended -- test, it may take up to 7 hours to complete depending on the amount of ram. (As far as I can remember)