9.1 has no prompt for cd 2 or 3

Guest GorGor

Guest GorGor

Hullo

Just got a second set of iso cds as I thought my problem with my first set might be a corrupt burn I bought from my friendly linux shop. I don't know enough to say if this is a bug but it sure is bugging me off.

When I am I supposed to get prompted for cd 2 or 3?

All attempts to install as clean or upgrade ONLY install cd 1.

Does anyone have the solution to this?

I tried standard install and upgrade and downloaded and made patch.pl and at initial cd boot screen gone into f1 and also tried f2 and typed "patch && vgalo" and also tried patch only and patch && vga16 etc, to no avail.

I might add, that when I mistyped my second command after (&&) it said command not recognised so I assume the first command "patch" was sucessful but did not see any great floppy activity.

End of rant. If any kind soul can help me thanks for your patience, Forgive me for my impatience.

I installed from ISO (on hard-drive) and faced exactly the same problem. Its an installer bug. Mandrake has never cared to fix it.

No, support for more than one ISO image is just not implemented. If you want to mainly do HD installs, instead of downloading the ISO images, download the whole Mandrake distro tree, and use that instead.

Anyway, I don't think this thread was about hd installs.

Hullo

When I am I supposed to get prompted for cd 2 or 3?

All attempts to install as clean or upgrade ONLY install cd 1.

The question is actually "When do I *not* get prompted for CDs 2 & 3", and the answer is "When you have less than the amount of RAM required to run the installer from a ram image".

In 9.0, IIRC, that was 64MB, but they pushed it up a bit for 9.1, I think it's just under 70MB (so 72MB is probably the first feasible amount of ram that supports it).

The issue is that if the installer does not fit into a ramdisk, that it then runs directly from the CD, and the CD can then not be changed during installation. All the machines I have installed on so far prompted me for more CDs.

Note, I think the ram limit for the text install is lower, so it may be feasible to install with multiple disks on a machine with less than 70MB of ram by running the text install.

If you want to mainly do HD installs, instead of downloading the ISO images, download the whole Mandrake distro tree, and use that instead.
Or combine all the ISOs into one. Which means currently this option is of limited use.

Anyway, I don't think this thread was about hd installs.
I know. My point was that this bug is more generic than just CD install, not just a hard-to-reproduce, one-in-a-million chance event. Its been there since LM9.0.

Guest GorGor

Thankyou all for replies so far

and don't be shy on posting more, because altho RANGER may be correct in saying you need more than 64 megs my cd 1 install file says

Required configuration

Pentium processor or compatible

CDROM drive

At least 32 MB RAM, 64 MB recommended and my signature says it all.

I will now sign off the electrical ether and attempt a pure text only install. I have to solve this issue as its driving me more nuts.

ps during my other attempts I did get a mention saying I was low on resources so maybe the install.htm file is misleading. In which case forgive me for doubting the lone ranger, heh heh.

Will post my results with I am calmer.

Maybe, the gurus could suggest that Mdk modify this install file to give slightly different suggestions?

Guest GorGor

Ranger

You are correct, I never doubted you for a nanosecond, honest.

Anyhow my two attempts at text were at f1 command line

patch && text

text && expert

I really really don't feel like doing patch && text & expert as I fear the result will be ditto.

With 64 megs of RAM I do not get any cd 2 or 3 prompts during a clean install.

The low resources team rests their case your worship.

GorGor,

I installed MDK 9.0 on a machine that is very small and never got prompted for cd2 or 3. However, when the installation was finished, I typed that in a console as root, which added cd2 and 3 to the rpm database so that I could install software from them:

urpmi.removemedia -a 

urpmi.addmedia --distrib cdrom removable:///mnt/cdrom

HTH

MOttS

Guest GorGor

Hullo

Did not see MottS reply until now. Thanks for the info.

Did a clean install for cd 1 then added new removable sources in mcc for the other cds then selected software to install.

Minor matters are(1) kppp belonging to kdenetwork failed to install on my request and I had to redo it. (2) too much data installed, about 1.3 G in lieu of 1.07 G but will cut that down later. (As I use partimage to image)

My relative needs KDE whereas I use Ice WM.

guarddog installs using a rpm for 9.0 heh heh.

phoenix browser is broken at this stage but I am tip typing away on Mozilla with no problems.

altho RANGER may be correct in saying you need more than 64 megs my cd 1 install file says

Required configuration  

Pentium processor or compatible

CDROM drive

At least 32 MB RAM, 64 MB recommended

Well, it does install fine with 32MB ram (I have done it), and it also installs fine with 64MB. But that depends what you want it to do. I guess they should adjust it to say "for desktop use, 96MB or more is suggested" and a note that only one CD will be available on a CD-install with less than about 72MB.

Note that apparently you can have the full installer work fine with any other method with 64MB ram, I think 32MB works with NFS.

Maybe, the gurus could suggest that Mdk modify this install file to give slightly different suggestions?

You can. File a bug under documentation at bugzilla: http://qa.mandrakesoft.com.

Mandrake isn't a community where only the elite are allowed to do things, any user is welcome to post bug reports etc as long as they are willing to take the time to do it well.

Guest GorGor

ranger

aaah, whats going on? It took 2 minutes on dial up to get to the above link and then I see a warning

Warning : Bugzilla is for development version only (cooker), for any bug report on a stable version, please go to www.mandrakeexpert.com

NOW, me thinks cooker is supposed to be the development stuff and 9.1 was supposed to be the bug fixes for 9.0.

I am having a go at Mdk putting out 9.1 which is supposed to fix 9.0. heh heh.

I still persisted because of your knowledge and others. I have done a number of installs so I am no longer a virgin just able to remember my first time.

I have created an incident at mdk expert.

UH-OH