Mozilla or MDK problem?...anyone else?

Guest greeneggs

Guest greeneggs

Hi

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my other problem (I don't think so) and so I have created a new post for it.

It has to do with the Mozilla v1.3 browser.

On MDK v9.1, if I bring up this browser and surf for a few minutes, everything is fine but then I will notice strange things happening like if I come to a web form, sometimes when I click (or even use the TAB key) to get the cursor into the form so I can type, it will not appear or the entire webpage will become unresponsive. Sometimes copy/paste does'nt work either where I will highlite text in a web form and right-click only to discover that only the "paste" options appears in the little menu (when it should say "copy").

It's little things like this plus my other problem (and most recently the mouse freezing up this morning requiring a reboot) that make me feel increasingly like I should give up on MDK and just hang tough until another version comes out. Looks like I'll be using RedHat (gasp!) or Debian (Hmmm...) until then.

Peace

Guest fubar::chi
Hi

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my other problem (I don't think so) and so I have created a new post for it.

It has to do with the Mozilla v1.3 browser.

On MDK v9.1, if I bring up this browser and surf for a few minutes, everything is fine but then I will notice strange things happening like if I come to a web form, sometimes when I click (or even use the TAB key) to get the cursor into the form so I can type, it will not appear or the entire webpage will become unresponsive. Sometimes copy/paste does'nt work either where I will highlite text in a web form and right-click only to discover that only the "paste" options appears in the little menu (when it should say "copy"). 

No it actually shoud say paste. When you select text it is already copied. All you need to do is click the middle mouse button to paste or if you have a two button mouse click both left and right mouse buttons at the same time.

It's little things like this plus my other problem (and most recently the mouse freezing up this morning requiring a reboot)

Let me take a wild guess, you hit the power button and didn't use the Alt+SysRQ sequences.

::shakes head::

that make me feel increasingly like I should give up on MDK and just hang tough until another version comes out. Looks like I'll be using RedHat (gasp!) or Debian (Hmmm...) until then.

Peace

eh, if you keep on punching at that power button you're gonna eventually get the same problems no matter which distro you use.

Did you even try Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to try and kill the X server before you restarted you computer (with the reset button?)

Are you running any other os on this computer? I am thinking that your processor is getting flaked. Either that or the northbridge of your chipset is going. These two are the common factors of your problems. Since it does not seem to be thermal, it may be the chipset, rather than the processor.

you can add this to the XF86Config-4 file

put in: Option "AllowDeactivateGrabs" "true"

as shown

Section "ServerFlags"

#DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)

#DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)

AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't work

Option "AllowDeactivateGrabs" "true"

EndSection

From XFree docs

The new option AllowDeactivateGrabs allows deactivating any active grab

with the key sequence Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Divide and the new option Allow-

ClosedownGrabs allows closing the conection to the grabbing client with

the key sequence Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Multiply. Note that these options are

off by default as they allow users to remove the grab used by screen

saver/locker programs.

This can allow you to get the keboard commands working if a program freezes and you can't use normal keyboard commands.

Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Divide

It has worked for me

And there is one other possibility which might make better sense. power supply. In fact, I think my vote is a bad power supply. A bad power supply can cause even diagnostic software to give false information. It is interesting that you seem to be experiencing every odd reported error that I have seen.