How to share windows printer?

fuzzylizard

I have a desktop computer that primarily run windows 2000 pro. Attached to that I have an Epson Stylus Color 740. The windows computer is on my little home network. Also on this network is my laptop that runs red hat 8.0.

The question is: is there anyway that I can access and print to the printer attached to my windows computer from my laptop?

You have a home network, so I presume you run samba. Then, you can use samba to print to the printer connected to the Windows computer.

On your notebook, add a network printer. You will be asked to add name and IP address of printer server, enter name and IP address of the windows computer. Of course, you must allow this printer to be shared (check its windows settings). Also, samba must be set to allow users on your notebook's subnet to share printers.

I have samba -- the client at least -- running on my computer. Although that is all that I know about it.

The printer is shared under windows and if I boot into win98 on the notebook, I can print to the printer.

edit: Okay, I set up a new printer using the gui tools in red hat 8, but I can't get the printer to work. There is a field that I need to fill in called "Share". What do I need to put here?

Also, samba must be set to allow users on your notebook's subnet to share printers.

How do I do this?

Edit 2: I got it to work. Took a little playing with different things, but it works and the test page looks marvellous.

Edit 2: I got it to work. Took a little playing with different things, but it works and the test page looks marvellous.

Great. Nevertheless, take a minute to look at the samba configuration file smb.conf (on my system it's /etc/smb.conf) in particular, the section titled [printers].