I need DVD help please

Guest Supah_Rob

Guest Supah_Rob

I posted this in the laptop forem, but that section doesn't seem very active and I would really like some help, so forgive me but I am also posting this here:

Heya everyone. I have been using Mandrake 9.1 for nearly 2 weeks now. I REALLY like it. I have (nearly) everything working the way I want it, but one thing is bugging me...I cant get DVD's to play.

First, the setup: I am using mdk on a Laptop and the DVD drive is actually a combo DVD/CD-RW drive. On Redhat 8.0 and 9.0 I needed to do a ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd and then DVD's would play just fine. When I try to do that in mdk, I get: ln: `/dev/dvd': File exists

Now for completly unrelated reasons I needed to reinstall this morning, so before I did, I deleted the /dev/dvd file-thing and then created the symbolic link, still no luck. After the fresh install (wiped out partitions and everything) its the same thing, although I have not yet deleted the /dev/dvd file-thing.

Now what happens is this: when I try to play a DVD through either Xine, Mplayer, KMplayer or XMovie, the program apparantly tries FOREVER to open the DVD, and nothing ever happens. If I wait for like (literally) 2 minutes, I hear the DVD spin up, then spin back down...but nothnig else happens.

As an added 'benifit' when I put a DVD in the drive I cant eject it. When press the eject button on the drive, nothing happens. I have to log out of X to get the drive to open.

Now as a CD-Rom drive or burner the drive works perfect, no problems at all.

So....anyone got any ideas? I know very little about linux, but I am learning more everyday, and I would sure like to learn how to fix this issue today

Thank you,

Rob

From the sounds of things supermount is getting in your way. It sounds like whatever you put into the drive is being mounted as a cdrom. My first suggestion would be to disable supermount and mount the dvd drive manually as a dvd drive. Then try to play the dvd. If this doesn't work then you may have a different problem.

Search around for supermount and you should find the command to disable it.

An aside: patience is a virtue so don't cross post. Just because a forum seems kinda empty doesn't mean your question won't get answered. I think most of us here check new posts when we visit the board and not particular forums. At least that is what I do. So hold on and your question, if we know the answer, will get looked at.

Guest Supah_Rob

ok, but before I disable supermount (assuming I am able to figure out how to do that...) will that effect anything else? If you recall, this is a combo DVD/CD-RW drive...if I disable supermount, will I still be able to use it as a cd rom drive and a burner?

Thanks,

Rob

Guest fubar::chi
An aside: patience is a virtue so don't cross post. Just because a forum seems kinda empty doesn't mean your question won't get answered. I think most of us here check new posts when we visit the board and not particular forums. At least that is what I do. So hold on and your question, if we know the answer, will get looked at.

actually i'd have to agree with him posting here on this one. I would have never looked in the laptops forums :? However i don't think a problem like this belongs there. The laptop forum is for laptop specific problems pmcia for eg) and not problems which just happen to be on laptops

don't disable supermount just yet.

did you open up a virtual console and type "eject" to eject the dvd?

if it says you dont have permission su to root and then type "eject" again it should eject.

is the DVD encrypted? if so you need:

libdvdcss2 -- from plf

libdvdnav1 -- on mandrake cd's

libdvdread2 -- on mandrake cd's

with those rpms and mplayer installed i can play encrypted DVD's in mplayer on 9.1

To setup urpmi sources go here

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php