How do you turn off/disable "X"?

Guest greeneggs

There is no X session without a WM
:shock: :? What's happening ndeb? Are you testing me? I never spoke about sessions. I just said that to have windows, the bare minimum is XFree. But I also said it's best to have a window manager so that you can... well, manage the windows ;-)

With a runlevel3 command like startx `which xterm` you indeed don't get a user session in the usual sense, but you get a graphical session; it depends on what you call a session...

Come on, is there really something wrong with what I wrote???

Oh! I just realized you may have thought that my initial post ("I suggest you read...") was directed at you :?: No no, it was intended as a documentation link for the initial poster (greeneggs).

Bye,

Yves.

I know it is possible to run an X app without running a WM. In your ~/.xinitrc put something like "exec xterm" and you can have an xterm without running a WM. The moment u kill the xterm, X will also quit. So, you do not have an X session in the real sense. But then, in this case you can call the parent xterm as your "session manager" since u can start other X apps from this xterm and killing this xterm quits X.

Small addition: how I test my (new or modified xfconfig):

with

X -xf86config newconfigfile :1 &

as user I start a new X without any wm (you just get the cross-shaped pointer), with the file [newconfigfile] which must be in the standard /etc/X11 dir (if started as root, you can point to any file anywhere, just a safety mechanism that a user can't just run any xf86config). So then I can test if my new configfile works.

To use it, I do:

export DISPLAY=:1

and then one of the following:

xvidtune &

startkde &

gnome-session &

or

icewm &

with xvidtune, or any other normal program, you can run it, but since there is no wm, you can't resize/move etc any window, there will be no windowframe.

Of course you can do all this whilst there is no X running at all, if you boot to init3....

So you can have X with no wm at all in various ways...

What's happening ndeb? Are you testing me?
I won't dare to do that....

I never spoke about sessions. I just said that to have windows, the bare minimum is XFree. But I also said it's best to have a window manager so that you can... well, manage the windows  

With a runlevel3 command like startx `which xterm` you indeed don't get a user session in the usual sense, but you get a graphical session; it depends on what you call a session...

Very true.
Come on, is there really something wrong with what I wrote???
Nothing wrong. I just assumed u were referring to a regular X session (with WM) because u were answering a newbie. Otherwise, somebody with ur experience can easily handle X without a WM. But that won't be "user-friendly" (even for an experienced user).

Well I did it again and there were no X*-lock files in /tmp. So....no X after service dm stop as root.
Thats scary !! Are u sure
ll /tmp/.X*lock

gives u nothing ? How about

ll /tmp/.X11-unix/

?

I am surprised because X always uses locks to lock a particular display number. Only one X session can use one display at a time.

Thats scary !! Are u sure
Yes, I'm sure. I used ls -a as root. I'll try ll when I get home and if the results are diff, I post back.

I don't find it scary at all, or unusual.....after all, this has been my point. X isn't suppose to continue running when you switch to init 3 from init 5. If it does, then something is wrong, and I'd find IT scary. :)

What's happening ndeb? Are you testing me?
I won't dare to do that....
:mystilol: :lol: :P

Do I feel sarcasm here :wink: Dare what you want, or I'll miss it.

I was just under the impression that you were knowingly twisting my words, kind of teasing...

Well, always remember that English is not my mother-tongue :)

Read you soon,

Yves.