NETGEAR WG311T ndiswrapper

montymintypie

Hey, if this is answered elsewhere, PLEASE TELL ME. Thanks :D

I'm trying to use my NETGEAR WG311T with Mandriva 2008.0, and it wasn't recognized by the system (seen, but not controllable). I then got the .inf driver off the install cd for the card, and used it with ndiswrapper. Now I can see and control the card. HOWEVER, I can't connect to my network (seen by the card). I think it is encryption problems. I have tried the network password and equivalent network password (AEBS) on all of the encryption options, and still can't connect. Any ideas???

Will

Edited by montymintypie

If you can control the card and see the network, then your issue is encryption.

Try turning off encryption to verify the connection.

Then carefully apply the correct information for link: double check the passwords/keys/etc. Be sure that you are following the same encryption patttern as the router/server/whatever.

I used to compile ndiswrapper, but with Mandriva 2007 onward, the Mandriva rpm has worked well.

Nope, you can use the same IP for the same machine since you are not running Windows and Mandriva at the same time, so there won't be any IP address conflicts.

Turn off encryption and then test as ix says. If it doesn't work then, then you know it's a problem with the ndiswrapper/driver setup. The ndiswrapper wiki gives you hints of what driver to use for the card, by using the output from lspci. Sometimes, the driver that you think might work, is not always the most suitable to use with ndiswrapper.

From the command line, "ndiswrapper -l" will give you all the information you need. If the driver is correct, then it will say that the driver is installed and the device is present. If it says the driver is installed, but no device present, you are using the wrong driver. If it returns nothing, you have not installed ndiswrapper.