quits after install and at login

tbrownarcher

Welcome aboard. :)

Some questions that you should answer first are:

Were there any errors reported during the installation? (E.g. at the end of the install process there should be a summary screen pointing out misconfigured/unidentified stuff with red text)

Which version of Mandriva are you installing?

What hardware do you use?

From what I read so far, it sounds like a badly configured video-driver. For fixing this (usually) minor problem, please give us your hardware specs first.

wow! I don't know the specs and the paperwork i got from the box is essentially nothing. It's a LCD panel by westinghouse .. made in China. I have no idea what the refresh rate or the hz or anything else is ... . Model # L2046NV.

Display Specifications

Viewable Screen Size 20.1" Diagonal

Native/Optimum Resolution 1400 x 1050

Color Capability 16.2 Million colors

Connectors

QTY TYPE

1 DVI-D

1 D-Sub mini 15 pins

1 AC-In

Compatible Modes

PC VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA

Optimum Resolution 1400 x 1050

Picture

Contrast Ratio 900:1

Brightness 300 cd/m2

Lamp Life 50,000 Hrs

Viewing Angle 170° Horizontal

160° Vertical

Response Time 5 ms

not sure if this is gonna help but it's all i got ...

Thanks,

tbrownarcher (nate)

It would be helpful to know the model/brand of your computer. We can figure out the video card information from there! Did the install finish normally? Normally, inputing a user name is not a step that can be skipped.

"It would be helpful to know the model/brand of your computer. We can figure out the video card information from there! Did the install finish normally? Normally, inputing a user name is not a step that can be skipped."

Yes that is what makes me think it did not complete installation however, at the end of all the verbose texts I can see a request for login and then it goes to the black screen with a solid (not blinking) cursor ... another thing is that I can do it again by starting installation again.

There are several (three or four ) messages that popup at the end before the login request but i cannot read them because they are too quick. Is there a way to stop the screen?

Another thing is that I am trying for dual boot and never see a thing for setting that up and as I have set linux up before nothing seems the same at all but it's been a while so I thought it was just because of the newness that something had changed in the methods.

My computer is a dell dimension 3000 -2800 mhz processor intel. The monitor is a Westinghouse model L2046NV. The video card is a NVIDIA Gforce FX 5500.

I also have an integrated Intel video card on the mother board which i'm not sure of the number but i'm plugged into the NVIDIA.

Thanks,

tbrownarcher (nate)

Couple of things:

Be sure that the on-board Intel chip is "off" in the bios. If it is not, Linux will configure the first card it finds, in this case the on-board card. When it flashes and goes blank, try unplugging the monitor from the Nvidia and plugging it into the on-board crad. My guess is you will see a gui.

Have you already disabled the onboard video in your BIOS and rebooted? It should set up the nvidia card then. If it bombs out, you can configure your graphics by logging in as root in safe/recovery mode and running

XFdrake

from the command line. This will launch the configuration tool.

BTW: You have not said yet, which Mandriva release you are trying to install. 2008 free? 2008 ONE? 2007.1 free? ...

mandriva-linux-one-2008-KDE-cdromk-I586.ISO is the release

If you were not asked to set-up a user then it's possible that the installation did not complete properly. This can happen if you did not allow enough space on your hard drive for Mandriva. At least 4G is required to install Mandriva ONE.

Jim

I actually have mandriva 2008 installed and am using it for this post.

I have a huge problem. On boot there is a black screen from start to finish. It's a dell computer and the dell logo does not come up, no request for the f2 key, Nothing until the Mandriva request for the user name and password.

Also the Boot sequence of the drives has been changed to eliminate the cdrom and so I can't use the cdrom to boot windows.

There is no boot request in grub if grub is the installed program for dual boot or even if there is dual boot installed at all.

The one thing is that it takes a long time to boot so there may be a request for boot direction that I cannot see because the screen is black and so when it times out it goes to Mandriva.

Why is the screen black and what do I do about it since i cannot get to the bios, or if i can get to the bios i cannot see it. I typed F2 key on boot and that time it just sat there doing nothing never booting to anything so i assume it went to the bios but would not display it.

I clicked on the windows directory and it displayed all the windows files so that's ok I just cannot boot to windows which I have to have ...

Thanks,

tbrownarcher (nate)

WEll I actually have mandriva linux on a dual boot machine. I don't know how I actually got it installed but it works. the previous post the problem has been fixed .. what it was is this ... weird

Yesterday someone told me to turn off the onboard video card if i wanted to use the NVIDIa card so i clicked ont he other option which was Onboard or Auto. So I think that the mandriva install used the on board before the request for a username and password screen and at and beyond the username and password screen it used the NVIDIA card. I decided to plug the monitor into the onboard card and everything before the unername and password screen displayed and everything after the username and password screen did not. I still have to see if the CD has been made bootable yet. :o :o

Well! This is horrendous.

I actually had it booting both mandriva an Windows xp with Grub.

Since then I made the mistake of putting the Mandriva install disk into the drive and booting it thinking i would have some option for repair and all it did was to begin to boot mandriva off of the CDrom. Well, I thought that was too slow so I killed it with the switch and now it won't boot Mandriva from anywhere? I can boot windows through grub yet and begins to boot mandriva from the hard drive but goes to a black screen with a cursor at the top...

What did I do?

Thanks,

tbrownarcher (nate)

I recommend looking for a bios update. As I said earlier and you have guessed, Mandriva is detecting both video cards. But you may have other hardware issues. Installing an operating system does not affect a boot screen. I would try removing the add-on card and installing with just the on-board video first, and then try installing the video card after you have the system working.