Trouble With K3B

RadioEar

New Sony DVD RW DRU 840A

I just installed a DVD burner, and NOW having trouble with K3B burning a SECOND DVD-R, I was able to burn ONE, but now K3B refuse to "see" a blank DVD.

Or something like that... if you look in the upper left corner where you add files, K3B indicates there is a blank DVD, but when you open the BURN dialog the "BURN" button is grayed out.

What happened?

Well scarecrow, I think I'm back in business. Here's how it went...

I have root permission on the DVD-RW.

The system (KDE) identified the drive correctly.

K3B indicated DMA was off, so I set it to 1 or on.

The drive is set as "MASTER" on it's own IDE.

The K3B dialog in the GUI indicated I had a 8gb disc in the drive (double layer?) when it was only 4.4gb. The Green bar at the bottom of the page indicated about 3/4 full but to the right the dialog indicated 5.6 of 8gb. So part of K3B knew I had a 4.4gb disc in the drive and I was attempting to burn 5.6gb to a 4.4gb disc, but no warnings, just no "BURN" button.

Before blaming the new drive, my brother and I decided to switch ribbon cables to see what that does. Now it looks like the DVD-RW is working properly with K3B. I using a ASUS mother board and it is supplied with two ribbon cables; "CD-ROM" and "HDD". We are now using the "HDD" cable. At this time it looks like the the cable might have been the problem and I'm able to burn and verify DVD Data discs.

See how it goes...

Edited by RadioEar

Using Mandriva 2008 (which has the new libata device driver) hdparm is practically obsolete, and "sdparm" is only for sata devices. Anyway, it's supposed that you will not have to toy with DMA settings on libata systems anymore. So, it might well be the cable, and I can suggest for single Atapi devices using an oldfashioned, 40-wire IDE ribbon instead of the modern 80-wire one. It makes a difference quite often...