Mandriva 2008.0 as a DNS server

Guest Mr. Holy Deer

Guest Mr. Holy Deer

Hi, all!

Maybe my problem seems is not so big as the others here in topics, but still i'm trying to find a solution for the last 5 days :(.

So...

I have installed Mandriva 2008.0 on my router computer. My computer has two newtork cards = one works for the external internet (with static IP from my ISP), the second is considered to work with my local subnetwork (192.168....). I have configure the server to work with the internet, and it works fine but... when i plug in the wire in the second network card, then after several minutes internet connection goes down = remains only the local network.

For me it looks like that the server takes the local network card as the external and routes all requests to this network.

DHCP and DNS settings look ok to me, but still nothing is working :(.

P.S. when i use only one interface = i can ping my ISP gateway, but when i plug in the second card, I can't ping the gateway...

maybe someone knows the solution and might help me solving my problem :)

thanx in advance

H.D.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

have you looked if the second card is used as gateway-device ? you can look in mandriva control center > networking, it should not be checked

Guest Mr. Holy Deer
have you looked if the second card is used as gateway-device ? you can look in mandriva control center > networking, it should not be checked

There in the options i have this card with such options:

IP: 192.168.1.1

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: "external ISP Gateway IP"

DNS: "external ISP DNS IP"

Actually i don't see any checkboxes for any other options in Control Center -> Networking :(

isn't there an entry advanced options ? (sorry can't look at the moment, I have an ugly winbox in front of me, time to get home !!!)

ok, looked, seems that this is not here anymore

on elder Mandriva versions there was a checkbox, which of your networkcards you wanted to use as "gateway-device", checking the wrong card wielded exactly the results you described.

seems all this went into "sharing your internet connection" (the entry above VPN-Configuration, sorry don't have an english system, so I do not know the exact names)

another idea, have you network-hotplugging enabled, if you have maybe it helps to disable it ?

Edited by lavaeolus