Screen flickers at login screen and gives shell login prompt

virtualspy

I have done this twice ...fresh install of Mandrake 9.1 and tested video settings during install as follows:

1) chose default (auto-detected) monitor/graphics card and boot to "x-free" login screen.

2) chose lesser (than auto-detected) screen resolution and tested ok.

During boot, I can almost see the login manager screen while the screen flickers, but then kicks me into a shell login screen instead. I can login and manuver the computer using the terminal commands.

What's wrong, and how do I fix it? Is there a more "generic" setting for the video I can use instead of what's auto-detected?

i experienced monitor flickering during my 8.2 installation. it has something to do with the prosavage video card that i have. ndeb helped me with a setting that i put in my rc.local so it is executed everytime i boot. succeeding versions of mandrake didnt have that problem.

give your videocard specs and maybe somebody (maybe ndeb) can figure out what can be done.

ciao!

This is a snippet of what was in the "XF86Config" file:

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Generic"

ModelName "1024x768 @ 70 Hz"

HorizSync 31.5-57.0

VertRefresh 50-70

Further down was:

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "S3 Inc."

BoardName "S386C368 (Trio3D/2X)"

VideoRam 4096

Option "power_saver"

I tinkered with these settings and rebooted about 10 times; each unsuccessful.

During reboot, the following BIOS message appeared briefly: "S3 Trio 3D2X 86C362" so I guess the Mandrake installation correctly identified the video card. As for the monitor, it's a Compaq LCD.

The hardware worked without problem on Mandrake 9.0 and I had the goofy idea of a fresh install instead of an upgrade. I might end up re-installing version 9.0 if necessary.

take a look to /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see what is exactly going on, and which are the supported modelines.

As a patch I suggest you by now to reduce the Screen Mode to 800x600 in a visual depth of 16

There was no log in the path "/var/log/". There were other logs, but none starting with "x". The other recommendations were also unsuccessful. I will try one last install choosing very simple generic settings before I revert to version 9.0. If I have to install 9.0, I'll look for a Mandrake RPM file for KDE 3.1.

reinstalling again is probably not the solution, when you login to console

su to root

"XFdrake" will bring up the textmode configuration program, should be quicker than reinstalling.

Does you monitor come with a manual? it may have its refresh rates on it if it does.

Also did you select XFree 4.3 or the 3.X version?, your video card sounds old and may not be supported properly in the newer XFree version.

Guest GorGor

vitualspy

I too have the same 4 meg video card and yep same flicker.

After about 3 cycles where GUI tries to start it eventually gave me the command login screen.

I logged on as normal user

then typed

STARTX

in lowercase

and then got the firsttime DRAKE which then gave me the option to choose my window manager, I prefer ICE.

(2) at no time during the install test did I get the MDK 9.0 test card of multiple vertical stripes or the penguins for 8.2. Instead I had a stable grey screen. This was true no matter if I tried individual selections or defaults.

(3) Johnnyv is correct 9.1 uses version 4 for X windows whereas my 9.0 uses a version 3. You could consider if you kept your old cds uploading the server 3 series? OR, if you don't have them grab the files off a mirror site?

I used XFree86 -SVGA version 3.3.6 and

XFree86 - server-common 3.3.6

(4) I have not tried this myself yet as I have failed to get cd2 or cd3 isos to upload which I have just posted my frustation on.

Naturally if I solve my cd issues I will let you know how I go with server 3 attempt

Hope this helps.

Guest fubar::chi
(4) I have not tried this myself yet as I have failed to get cd2 or cd3 isos to upload which I have just posted my frustation on.

Naturally if I solve my cd issues I will let you know how I go with server 3 attempt

Hope this helps.

the ftp site here has all three cds and i have cd1 and cd3 for 9.1 on my site

Sorry, I've been working in other stuff here, and I have unatended many issues

There was no log in the path "/var/log/".  There were other logs, but none starting with "x".  The other recommendations were also unsuccessful.  I will try one last install choosing very simple generic settings before I revert to version 9.0.  If I have to install 9.0, I'll look for a Mandrake RPM file for KDE 3.1.

If there is no log, then run startx as follows:

startx &> myownlog

Then view the file "myownlog" to see if you find any useful info

For the record, on my slackware I have an even older card from the same family (Trio 3D), and it works like a charm with XFree86 4.2.x

Section "Device"

Identifier  "Trio3D"

Driver      "s3virge"

ChipSet   "86c365"

EndSection

Guest GorGor

virtualspy

Just installed 9.1 and could not use trio 3d/2d as detected.

Instead, change the graphical server, do not select by card manufacturer for S3 Virge but scroll down to server 3 and 4 at bottom of list. Hit the space bar or use your mouse if graphical and go into server 4 and then select S3Virge.

This appears to give you a generic s3virge and it works.

I used to get on 1024 x 768 hor 100 x ver 80 but on 9.1 I am now getting

68.7 x 85 vertical.

There is not a great difference in eye candy using Ice WM but KDE 3.1 looks gorgeous.

Guest anthroadam

I'm having the same problem with GUI flickering a few times at boot then tossing me to the command line login.

I use an ATI Rage LT Pro.

I've played extensively with the XF86config-4, and XFDrake.

Also, if I run startx from the command line, I get an interesting result.

KDE loads, but displays no text whatsoever and is unusable.

When selecting the test option in XFDrake, I get tossed back to the command prompt and it shows me that xfs has restarted.

I have no idea what is going on. Nothing suspicious in the log files.

Everything worked fine in 9.0

i experienced monitor flickering during my 8.2 installation. it has something to do with the prosavage video card that i have. ndeb helped me with a setting that i put in my rc.local so it is executed everytime i boot. succeeding versions of mandrake didnt have that problem.
That was a 2.4.18 kernel bug that affected the KM133 prosavage chipset, very different from the current problem.

I'm having the same problem with GUI flickering a few times at boot then tossing me to the command line login.  

I use an ATI Rage LT Pro.  

I've played extensively with the XF86config-4, and XFDrake.

Ur problem is different from the topic of this thread. U should post ur problem as a new post or in http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4598 (deals with same problem of an ATI rage card).

Section "Device" <!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Identifier "device1" <!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->VendorName "S3 Inc." <!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->BoardName "S386C368 (Trio3D/2X)" <!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->VideoRam 4096 <!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->Option "power_saver"<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->

In this section, look for the line
Driver      "s3virge"

and change it to

Driver      "vesa"

and then restart X.