Multimedia kernel

phunni

I hope this isn't a stupid question but, I have just installed ogle on my 9.1 system and then watched a DVD.

It was perfectly watchable, but the quality should have been much better and I know my system can handle DVDs as I have watched them in the bad old windows days.

Would I be right in thinking that using the mulitmedia kernel would improve performance for DVD playback? Also, I read somewhere that installing a kernel from rpm can overwrite values in lilo config - is this true or could I install a mm kernel without losing the ability to boot into my current kernel

Well, if you install the kernel and don't 'upgrade' it ... I don't see what the problem could be.

As for the kernel increasing DVD playback performances, I'm not sure man. What about trying to compile Ogle yourself giving your system spec as an argument? Download Ogle, untar it, cd to the directory and do a './configure --help'. You should have some options there to tweak it to your needs. Something like './configure --system=Athlon ...'. I'm saying that because I had similar problems with a pre-compiled version of MPlayer and the problems went away when I compiled it myself :D

You should also look for other DVD softwares. I'm using Xine and it is working very well, even for DVDs. I compiled it myself though.

MottS

when i installed the mm kernel it just added a new entry into my lilo. it did not remove the option for the old kernel. i rebuilt it for my architecture (athlon xp) from src rpms, I would suggest doing this if you have the knowledge. if you have an athlon xp, just check out the post in kernel/programming/etc. to see what to do. and make sure to install the kernel-source rpm.

and i think the mm kernel will help your problem. dvd's play nicely on my system with the mm kernel installed. the mm kernel will improve perfomance in a lot of areas.

Would I be right in thinking that using the mulitmedia kernel would improve performance for DVD playback?

The first thing that I would do is see if dma is enabled. On whatever your dvd drive is. :D

This is from my CD-ROM drive, without any media inserted.

# cd /

# hdparm -v /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:

HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument

IO_support = 1 (32-bit)

unmaskirq = 1 (on)

using_dma = 1 (on)

keepsettings = 0 (off)

readonly = 1 (on)

readahead = 8 (on)

HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

Also do # hdparm -i /dev/hdc

My drive is hdc, use whatever your dvd drive letter is for the /dev/hd? part. :)

If dma is not on, enable it, test it by playing a dvd movie. See man hdparm for more information.

You can add the missing commands in /etc/rc.d/rc.local at the bottom so it will be applied automatically when you boot up.

dma is enabled on my DVD drive (/dev/hdd in my case)

I think I'm going to install the kernel this afternoon - probably from RPM. I have recompiled kernels before, but even though I played with many of the options and made as much as possible a module - I could never improve my system performance, so I doubt I'll bother again.

BTW - I understand that the standard kernel behaves in a less multimedia friendly way because it is suited to being a server kernel. What would be the issues of using the mm kernel as my default kernel on my desktop machine? Would this be a good idea? Are there any drawbacks?

Have installed the mm kernel (running it now in fact) and, when I went to sort out my boot config in drakconf, I noticed a check box asking me about acpi - it was enabled, but I've never seen it before.

When I boot, acpi fails to start. Do I need this? Is it crucial to the mm kernel?

acpi is another way to save power (the newest way) after apm. Check in your bios which one is supported and enabled. Also, if you enable apm and then start acpi, it will fail to start 'cause only one can run on a machine.

MOttS

Surely I would only need to care about that if I was running a laptop?

technically, yes. but nonetheless, saving energy is a good thing ;-) just 'cuz your desktop has a constant source of energy doesn't mean you should hogit :lol: