Home partition

elder70

...As I now am about to install Mandriva I would like to set up the home in its own partition. Can someone help me with this please.

What you basically need is / (or "root") partition, a swap-pratition and it's very good to have a /home partition. I also have a /usr -partition, but that's not really needed.

Depending on the HD size, you will need to give the root-partition ("/") enough room for your apps. Swap should be (a bit depending on the size of your RAM) somewhere between 512 - 1024 MB (make it twice your RAM, but no need to go over 1024 MB). Then I personally have a great deal larger /home partition to keep my videos, photographs, music etc. "stuff" there. This is where the users will save there application data (office documents and such) and the rest of that stuff.

The actual partition is graphical when you install Mandriva so you don't need to worry about the correct commands. Click on "Custom disk partitioning" when given the choice during the early phases of the installation

What you could do is read through this guide made by Falko: http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desk...mandriva_2008.0 . What this guide does NOT do is give you any hints if you want to configure your hard drive partitions yourself. That's a pity, IMHO. But don't worry, I'ts fairly easy to do. Just start with your "/"-partition, make a "swap" partition next and finally allocate the rest of the free space to "/home" partition.

Well, here's how I've set up my 250GB share of HD to Mandriva. (And before anyone makes the obvious comment: I know my swap is just too large... ;) )

Mount point: /
					sda6
					7.8GB (1%)
					Mount point: swap
					sda7
					3.8GB (0%)
					Mount point: /home
					sda8
					190GB (40%)
					Mount point: /usr
					sda9
					19GB (4%)

As you install, just choose the option that sets up the partitions automatically. Then the Mandriva cd will do everything for you, even setting up the /home partition.

Kieth

Yes, but that kinda takes away the option to decide the size of each partition for yourself. ;)

Thank you for all the help. I resized the Windows partition, followed along, and the live install started copying files. When it finished the KDE screen was in front of me. Nothing had been asked of me during the installation of the files. When I closed it and rebooted, only Windows came up. So maybe Mandriva is there but I can't get to it. Now I am confused, can anyone help with this?

Thank you.

Are you sure you didn't just boot the One CD to run the live version of Mandriva, but never actually asked it to install? It might have _seemed_ like it was copying files, but running the One CD just copies things into memory, it doesn't touch the hard drive. Only when you double-click the desktop icon "Install" and go through the several steps does it actually install anything.

If you think you really did install, tell us which CD or DVD you used and more details about what it asked you during the install.

I totally support what Neddie says.

The live CD can only be installed from the running Live CD state. The install button is an icon on the desktop.

When the CD is run in Live CD mode it does NOT install anything on the Hard Drives no matter what you think it is doing. It is only installing, i.e. downloading , files into MEMORY.

When doing the install you should definitely use the Custom partitioning choice rather than the Automatic.

It is extremely simple to follow even for newbies so there is no need to shy away from doing it yourself.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Are you sure you didn't just boot the One CD to run the live version of Mandriva, but never actually asked it to install? It might have _seemed_ like it was copying files, but running the One CD just copies things into memory, it doesn't touch the hard drive. Only when you double-click the desktop icon "Install" and go through the several steps does it actually install anything.

If you think you really did install, tell us which CD or DVD you used and more details about what it asked you during the install.

Thank you, it worked this time and Mandriva is up and running. I chickened out on the custom partition, didn't have a clue what I was doing, so I went for the automatic partitioning of the Windows free space.

However, there is one observation, and that is there is no "Freecell" game and nothing in the repository either. I thought every self respecting system had freecell. :(

There is, but it won't be called freecell, because that would cause problems from Microsoft no doubt. I know it exists, I've seen and played it, but I can't remember what it's called. You could open the package manager System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/Packaging/Install Software or whatever it's called now, and then search in descriptions for freecell. It'll then search the package info and find something that mentions it's similar to freecell.

However, there is one observation, and that is there is no "Freecell" game and nothing in the repository either. I thought every self respecting system had freecell. :(

Just install the "pysol" package, there are 12 types of freecell game in there. Just choose one from Select -> FreeCell type ->