Problem installing Mandriva Discovery

nike

Hi very new to all this (LINUX) :))

Am trying to install Linux Mandriva Discovery which i bought, on to a brand new built computer.

I load the dvd in the drive then reboot the machine to boot from cd/dvd this gives me a Mandriva screen with several options. I choose the installation option, the screen goes blank then another screen comes up telling me i have no cd drive connected and that is were i am ? can someone help me to get over this problem??? :wall:

Mchine is a.

gigabite p35-ds3r motherboard

Intel pentium dual core 1.6ghz

4gb geil ddr2 memory

graphics is Asus eah2400pro

Samsung SATA11 250gb drive

Liteon dvd r/rw cd drive.

THX FOR ANY HELP :))

Have now installed win xp on this system with no problems at all.

But i now need to know how to dual boot if Mandriva will load past the cd problem, which i just found out it wont :( so i still need to knowe why it doesnt find cd/dvd drive?

please help

Check in the BIOS for an option "Plug and Play OS". If it's enabled, disable it. It causes hardware detection problems normally. If no option, then no worries. Now, when you get the menu to boot, we need to pass some extra options. These options can be:

noapic
nolapic
acpi=off

start by adding one, and see how far you get, for example:

linux noapic

and try and boot. Then add one more of the others if this fails. And see how you go.

Is the onboard software SATA-RAID enabled? Anyway, since you report having just one SATA drive, disable it.

Which Mandriva Discovery version? They are quite a few of them out there, and most of them won't work with the P35 chipset of your mainboard.

Edited by scarecrow

ok this is only information on what linux i have.

DIS-2007EN Mandriva Linux Discovery 2007 - For beginners Box version

i am at work now so will turn of the plug and play OS off when i get home and check that SATA-RAID is disabled.

p.ps

ianw1974 when the boot screen loads how can i get to a screen to put in code as there is no option for that?

It just gives me options to install i think?

sorry this is probably really newbie but i really want to get this working

p.p.s

scarecrow is there a major problem with the intel chipset then?

am i trying to do something that probably wont work asnyway?

thx for any help

scarecrow is there a major problem with the intel chipset then?

The only "problem" is that it is very new, and as such properly supported by fairly current kernel revisions. Mandriva 2007's 2.6.18.X kernel is more than 16 months old (although Mandiva has backported many newer dri9vers to it- dunno which, though...), but the current Mandriva 2008 (2.6.22.X kernel) should work fine.

OK Have checked bios and there is no option for plug and play OS.

the SATA-RAID Is disabled.

Can you explain to me how i can put the 3 options you say into the code as i have only got the Boot screen with installation options.

if i press installation this is when i get the no cd/dvd found result

:wall:

I think there will be an option there for advanced options or custom boot or something. I can't remember, as last CD I booted and installed was Mandriva 2007.0.

However, one of them will give you a command line, so that you can do this. Alternatively, if the menu option isn't there, you'll have buttons F1-F5 or so that allow you to do this if I remember correctly.

In reality, anti-virus isn't needed in the Linux world. I've never ran it. There's probably not even any viruses for Linux, we've had this discussion on this board before.

Apart from stopping yourself from sending windows-based viruses by email, there's no need for it.