A compile problem

I'm trying to compile and install a dockapp for my fluxbox desktop (wmcalendar ) and I'm encountering problems that I can't resolve.

One of the dependencies mentioned in the install file is libical - this I can compile and install but I still get the following errors:

gcc -O2 -Wall    -pedantic `gtk-config --cflags` -I.  -DICON_TYPE= -DLinux -c dockapp.c -o dockapp.o -I/usr/X11R6/include/X11 -I/usr/X11R6/include

dockapp.c: In function `dockapp_open_window':

dockapp.c:62: warning: implicit declaration of function `exit'

gcc -O2 -Wall    -pedantic `gtk-config --cflags` -I.  -DICON_TYPE= -DLinux -c calendarfunc.c -o calendarfunc.o -I/usr/X11R6/include/X11 -I/usr/X11R6/include

gcc    `gtk-config --libs` -o wmCalendar wmCalendar.o dockapp.o calendarfunc.o        -o wmCalendar -I/usr/X11R6/include/X11 -I/usr/X11R6/include-L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lX11 -lXext -lical

/usr/local/lib/libical.so: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'

/usr/local/lib/libical.so: undefined reference to `pthread_once'

/usr/local/lib/libical.so: undefined reference to `pthread_key_create'

/usr/local/lib/libical.so: undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make: *** [wmCalendar] Error 1

I'm not sure if this is because libical isn't instaleld properly or whether there is another problem - any one able to shed any light?

maybe is a problem with dependences between glibc and the program you are compiling, or between glibc and the compiler version you are using, or... Those pthread stuff are at glibc-devel(*); so my best bet is that there is a conflict between the version of libical you installed and the glibc version you have.

Well, hope it helps, because the truth is that I have no idea about the last glibc packages

----

(*)

arusabal@mandrakeusers ~$ apropos pthread_getspecific

pthread_getspecific [pthread_key_create] (3thr)  - management of thread-specific data

arusabal@mandrakeusers ~$ rpm -qpl ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/..../cooker/Mandrake/RPMS/glibc-devel-2.3.2-2mdk.i586.rpm | egrep "pthread_(once|set|get|key_)"

/usr/share/man/man3/pthread_getschedparam.3thr.bz2

/usr/share/man/man3/pthread_key_create.3thr.bz2

/usr/share/man/man3/pthread_once.3thr.bz2

/usr/share/man/man3/pthread_setcancelstate.3thr.bz2

/usr/share/man/man3/pthread_setcanceltype.3thr.bz2

/usr/share/man/man3/pthread_setschedparam.3thr.bz2

arusabal@mandrakeusers ~$

You can check here..

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/freshmeat/lib....44-1.i386.html

I found this by googling on 

linux pthread rpm

:)

I'd already checked this and it conflicts with lots of files already installed - although I don't think any pthread files were part of the conflict - is there a way of only installing those files? Would that be a good idea?

Just to second aru, avoid doing anything with glibc unless you're willing to loose it all..or spend a lot of time in console fixing things. Even an upgrade can be disastrous and I believe probably the biggest cause of probs with the Upgrade option at first Install of a new Mandrake version. Anything that glibc so much as looks at had better be the right dep. Not to intimidate you or anything :P