when i'm trying to install Nvidia drivers i'm getting this message:

ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before
	 installing.  For further details, please see the section INSTALLING
	 THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver
	 download page at www.nvidia.com.

the commands i'm running are:

$chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run
$./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run

i have no idea what it means and i tried to go to nvidia.com and couldn't understand what i need to do :)

i just want to change the resolution to 12809*1024 :(

thanks,

igotnoluck

Why don't you install the nvidia drivers via MCC, it would be the easiest way. All you need is to have your repo's set up, with the non-free repo's as well, and install the nvidia dkms stuff, then run Xfdrake. If you have the PowerPack version of Mandriva, it will be included on the disk.

To install it manually like you are attempting above, you have to exit the X server first, you can do this by typing in a terminal/console init 3, then change to root, cd to the directory where you have the driver located, etc, etc, but it is far easier just to do it through MCC, you don't have to worry about having to get the kernel source etc, everything is taken care of for you.

Edited by esulcer

First of all, I don't think Nvidia will support that resolution... :lol2:

i just want to change the resolution to 12809*1024

OK, but seriously you should go with esulcer's advice. The name of the package is

dkms-nvidia

You must have your repositories set up before that. The best way to do it is to check the link at the top of Mandrivausers.org page (easy-uprmi).

If you only want to change the resolution, that can be changed in MCC also. Cannot remember the names of headings and categories in MCC (I'm in Windows-land currently), but they should be self-explanatory.

about the first advice:

All you need is to have your repo's set up, with the non-free repo's as well, and install the nvidia dkms stuff, then run Xfdrake. If you have the PowerPack version of Mandriva, it will be included on the disk.

i have no idea what you said :) i'm new to linux :(

can you explain it so i can understand please, what is: repo's, dkms, Xfdrake and i think i have Mandriva Free edition.

when i try to run the shell code you gave me i get this:

no package named dkms-nvidia

my easy-urpmi is updated (i think) because i've selected a new one a week ago :(

but still what can i do ?

Edited by igotnoluck

what is: repo's, dkms, Xfdrake

repo's - Repositories, the stuff you set up with Easy Urpmi, where you get all the cool software from :)

dkms - Just think of it as a thing to help make installing stuff, nvidia drivers in this case easier

Xfdrake - That actually should be XFdrake, sorry about that, that will allow you to set up you video card, monitor etc

and i think i have Mandriva Free edition.

No difference, you'll still get the same stuff, it just wont be on your disk that's all.

When you get your repositories set up, don't forget the non-free ones, you'll need them, and don't let the non-free part put you off, it has nothing to do with cost or paying, they are in that sense free :), anyway, once you get them set up, just start up MCC, go to the Software Management part, select Manage Software, in the search box put in nvidia, select the driver for your card, dkms-nvidia-xxxx, unless you have an old card, choose dkms-nvidia-current, (but just read the info for dkms-nvidia71xx and dkms-nvidia96xx, to see what would suit your card) it should pull in all that is needed to get thing up and running, click apply, let it do it's thing, run XFdrake(type XFdrake in a konsole/terminal as root), or go to MCC/Hardware/Set up the Graphical Server, which is the same thing as XFdrake, just a different way of getting there. (I hope that's correct, I just let the Powerpack install take care of it now, so I don't actually do it :unsure:, you'll be right :) )

I got to go, good luck, if you have any trouble, just ask, someone will help you, I'll be back tomorrow.

Edited by esulcer

Installing from the nvidia .run package is fine. Just open a root console at your desktop ( kdesu konsole), and then

telinit 3

The desktop will dissapear in a poof, and you will be presented with a vt login. Login as root, and then run your

./NVIDIA*.run

command. Should work fine now (provided that you have kernel source or kernel headers installed).