Greek language support

Guest giorgos83b

Guest giorgos83b

Hello, I would like to know how to add greek language support into the latest Mandriva distribution.

I have downloaded and installed the mandriva-linux-2008-one-KDE-cdrom-i586 with the 'usual' I would say method.What do I need to get/do in order to have a 'windows' similar language bar with my language (el) on it together with the default language (en).

I have to say that I am appaled that I haven't seen my country (Cyprus) in the extended country list when installing Mandriva.

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Basically you have to install your language packages and then setup your KDE and some other system settings.

First of all launch the Mandriva Control Center ("Configure your computer" in the menu). On the Packages tab which should be opened by default launch the Software sources manager. It is one of the two which has an open box with rpm written on it icon. On the window which appears click on Add and choose distribution sources. Then do it again but this time choose official updates. Now you're done with adding more sources so close this window.

Launch the software manager. It's on the packages tab too. It has an open box with a minus and a plus sign icon. It's just above the Software sources manager icon. When it started install your language packages. For KDE it will be something like kde-i18-gr. You also have to install the greek locales packages. You can search in the package names for "gr" (if that's your country code) or in the package descriptions for "greek" in the software manager. Note that some software has it's own language packs like Firefox and Openoffice so install those too.

When you're done with installing close the package manager and on the Sytem tab of the MCC choose the flag icon. Setup your localization.

Now in the menu launch the KDE Control Center. It's called only "Control Center" in my menu. Change your language settings there. Now from your next login all the KDE programs will have Greek language support if they are translated to Greek.

For some other programs you may have to change the settings inside the program.

urpmi locales-cy kde-i18n-cy openoffice.org-l10n-cy

under a root console will give you the needed files. There are also some minor ones which you won't need right now. The above modules are for Cyprus, not Greece (...and I do not know how different they are from the Greek ones which I'm using).

System locale settings are changed within Mandriva Control Center (you will easily find the module). If you tick the advanced button you will see that unicode is enabled by default- do NOT disable it.

A reboot after that change is not strictly necessary (you can just source your system profile or maybe mcc will do that for you automatically), but reboot... it's easier! :P

The kde menus can be changed now from the language module of "kcontrol" application. Desktop environments like Gnome, XFCE4 and the minor ones read the system settings and change the displayed language on the fly (maybe a logout will be needed first).

Openoffice should also switch automatically. If not, then you can do it manually in several ways.

Finally, if you want to switch between just two language/keyboard layouts (Cypriot and English), then do NOT use the kde keyboard applet. Just edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf as root. Find the section starting like

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier	 "Keyboard0"
etc etc etc etc etc.............

and change it to something like:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier	 "Keyboard0"
Driver		 "kbd"
Option "XkbRules"	"xorg"
Option "XkbModel"	"pc105"
Option "XkbLayout"	"us,gr"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
Option "XkbVariant" "basic,extended"
EndSection

...save it, and restart your x-server (alt+ctrl+backspace) and now you will be able to switch layouts by pressing left alt+ left shift together (you can also use many other combos if you wish).

The line Option "XkbVariant" "basic,extended" is needed to enable special symbols, like the euro one (you can type it under the greek keyboard layout ONLY by pressing right alt+5)

This way you will be able to

Edited by scarecrow