Jump to content
pmpatrick

fish protocol problems on mdv2008

Recommended Posts

I just started having some real problems connecting under kde's fish protocol with mdv2008. Previously it worked fine. Now every time I try I get the following error message:

 

An error occurred while loading fish://patrick@192.168.1.100:

The process for the fish://192.168.1.100 protocol died unexpectedly.

 

Oddly, I can always ssh between to the two boxes and use scp or sftp, even when I'm getting this error message with fish. I saw a bug report on this already. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Jerry1091

Same problem here. I submitted an incident report to the Mandriva expert site. Still no answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps I'm late to the party, but in any case...

I have finally taken the time to investigate this issue, I normally mount with nfs so don't see the problem, I noticed it first last November...

 

It seems the issue comes up with kernels from 2.6.21 onwards and only on amd64 / x86-64 / em64t systems.

 

See also: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=145123

 

The workaround that works ok for me, as from the above bug report:

start konqueror from a console like this:

KDE_FORK_SLAVES=true konqueror

and then it works fine.

 

Note that various people have mentioned that you can't actually set that environment value globally since it will give problems in other kde components such as kmail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same problem of the fish protocol dying after an update. Did a google and turned up many such problems and no real solution. Started using sftp instead until a fix is produced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fish is working fine for me now with 2008.1, how odd that mine failed with 2008.0 but worked for you, now 2008.1 works for me but not for you. Up until 2008 fish worked with all the releases.

Edited by SilverSurfer60

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SilverSurfer60:

 

You're right, that is definitely odd. At least there is the workaround as indicated in this thread. It is a nuisance though.

 

I am currently using 2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb.

 

I am trying KDE_FORK_SLAVES=true as an environment variable. So far that doesn't seem to break anything else. (I don't use kmail as mentioned above.) If it does I'll have to remove it.

Edited by RVDowning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...