need help resizing the root file system

Guest jack smack

Guest jack smack

I resized the root partition but I can't resize the file system. I have a linux file system resize disk but when I try to run resize2fs /dev/hda1 is says that the file system has unsupported feature(s). Any suggestions?

jack

Resizing your root partition WILL cause all your data to be lost.

My recommendation is that you backup whatever necessary and delete the partition, create a new one with the specs. you want and re-install.

I have never heard of anyone successfully resizing a Journalised file system.

Guest jack smack

I used a third party partitioning tool called BING to resize the partition, and I am booted into that partition right now. My problem is that when I increased the partition size the ext2 file system didn't increase to the new partition size. When I type df at a terminal it still shows the file system being the size of the old partition size but diskdrake shows the new partition size. I downloaded the file system resizer here, http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads...rty/fsrd.tar.gz . I think that Mandrake 9.1 uses a new type of ext2 and that is why the file system resizer utility won't work. I could be wrong.

• 4 years later...

I ran out of room on my Debian laptop so I created /usr partition which is what takes up most space. Then I moved everything over to the new /usr partition.

And I have successfully resized / with Reiserfs on it and lost only minimal data.