No 3-D effects in 2008.0

yossarian

Hi all,

After having some problems with my nvidia graphic card upgrading from 2007.1 to 2008.0, I decided to do a fresh installation to 2008.0 from the Gnome live CD. Running from the live CD I had all the effects of Compiz (I also had them in 2007.1), but after installation I lost all the graphical features of 3-D. From the MCC I made sure I'm running with the proprietary driver and that the Compiz fusion option is enabled, and got no special error messages.

What did I miss?

I have just noticed something awkward: I have two users on the computer (both of them were defined in 2007.1). For the other user I DO get all the 3-D effects. So there is something wrong with the definitions and configuration of the user, not with the system (probably there aren't any drivers missing or something like that, otherwise it wouldn't work for both users).

Does anyone have any idea what can be the reason?

Thanks.

No real reason, except a few obvious things. I find that if I'm logged into more than one account at a time, the 3d effects won't work, and I have no windows decorator. As far as I know this is something to do with how the permissions are set at default, and I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to change this yet. Other than that, make sure that you have enabled the 3d effects in the MCC, it's under the Hardware tab. I'm unsure about the 2008 live edition, but under 2008 free by default it's switched off after install.

Are both user accounts 'essential'? I.e., do either of them have a home directory with information you can't live without? Can you get rid of the user who's 3D settings don't work and use the other one? I'm sure there are lots of other options, this is just off to top of my head. Good luck.

I find that if I'm logged into more than one account at a time, the 3d effects won't work, and I have no windows decorator.

I'm logging into one account at a time.

Other than that, make sure that you have enabled the 3d effects in the MCC, it's under the Hardware tab.

I have. It's enabled. More than that, it works for the other user.

Are both user accounts 'essential'? I'm sure there are lots of other options, this is just off to top of my head. Good luck.

I'm afraid they are.

But you gave me another idea. I can backup the /home/Problematic_Username directory, and delete the user. Then I can start putting back items from the backup library one at a time, and only those items which are important for me (especially the directories starting with dots that save configurations of applications). This way I can control the process and isolate the disturbing item, or get back my environment functioning. Thanks for the tip! :)

Edited by yossarian

Yossarian: are you using the latest compiz-fusion (0.6.2)? Or the one before that 0.5.2?

I tried using the new one, but had serious problems with it so I returned to 0.5.2. Here's the description of my problem.

I'm not at home right now, but I'm also positively sure that I'm not using compiz 0.6.2. I did the installation from the live CD (2008.0 One) and didn't configure any backports repositories, so there is no reason I'll run with 0.6.2. And besides, the fact that one user has a working environment makes me think it's not about compiz or drivers or anything to do with the packages (which apply for all users), but with the specific configuration files of this user.

But of course, I'll check when I get home just to be sure.