GTK Font Issues in 9.1

mousematt

No! I taught her well. Actually, not so long ago I asked if she'd prefer to autologon, and her response was: but that's not good for security, then everyone can start my computer and get to my files....
:P ...gotta love it.
Anyway, I think I might enlighten you about the font size:
Thanks for the info. It's been just the past couple of weeks that I've been messing with modelines ect.... Here's what's in my XFree86.0.log
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1280 x 1024

(--) NVIDIA(0): Display dimensions: (320, 240) mm

(--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (101, 108)

I do not have a "DisplaySize" entry in my XF86Config-4. This use to be determined/ or rather could be controlled in /etc/X11/XftConfig but that (as you know) has been done away with, so, other than the XF86Config-4, where would X get this value? I'm just wondering if your "DisplaySize" from XF86Config-4 is being overwritten somewhere else. xdpyinfo reveals the same as above for me.

WARNING **: Could not connect to gnome-session
yes,...sorry....do

gnome-session

then

gnome-session-properties

you can then run gnome-font-properties and if things get set right save your session with

gnome-session-save

and hopefully kde might catch a clue?

This is getting frustrating....
I hear ya!

I have had gtk apps open without the galaxy theme and gnome-font-properties being applied while in kde. If I open konqueror from a gnome environment, konq's fonts are bigger and not as nice. So it seems to have something to do with the DE's as well. I'm glad the DE's are trying to get in sync but....being a new idea...problems arise eh'. I've been exclusively (except for gvim) a kde env guy for 4-6 mths, until last week. Gnome did, and is really getting on my nerves as well, and now it seems the nautilus devel team has finally realized they need to completely re-work the way it integrates with the DE. Duh!...I could have told them they were going down the wrong road 10 mths ago. I much prefered the gnome DE but realized it was in desparate need of help to keep up with the times...so I'm tring to be patient but it looks like it gonna be a loooooonnngg time. *sigh*

Thanks for the info. It's been just the past couple of weeks that I've been messing with modelines ect.... Here's what's in my XFree86.0.log
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1280 x 1024

(--) NVIDIA(0): Display dimensions: (320, 240) mm

(--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (101, 108)

I do not have a "DisplaySize" entry in my XF86Config-4. This use to be determined/ or rather could be controlled in /etc/X11/XftConfig but that (as you know) has been done away with, so, other than the XF86Config-4, where would X get this value? I'm just wondering if your "DisplaySize" from XF86Config-4 is being overwritten somewhere else. xdpyinfo reveals the same as above for me.

On my machine I get:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1600 x 1200

(**) NVIDIA(0): Display dimensions: (403, 302) mm

(WW) NVIDIA(0): Probed monitor is 390x290 mm, using Displaysize 403x302 mm

(**) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (100, 100)

and xdpyinfo confirmed this. If I don't put this DisplaySize line in the xfconfig, I get something like 97 dpi or so, it reads the info from the monitor.

If I leave the monitor off without the DisplaySize line, it defaults to 75dpi.

yes,...sorry....do

gnome-session

then

gnome-session-properties

you can then run gnome-font-properties and if things get set right save your session with

gnome-session-save

and hopefully kde might catch a clue?

Well, no, not under kde, since then a session is already running. Also, if I log in with gnome as a de, evolution (and the gimp and some other apps, like video-dvdrip) still look bad, no matter what I set in the font stuff....

I'm trying to think of what I could get from that mdk9.1rc1 install that is on another partition,.... maybe I should just move /usr/share to something else and then link that old one...?

[edit] nope that last thing didn't help either (did a mv /usr/share/themes /usr/share/themes.old and then ln -s /alt/usr/share/themes /usr/share/themes)

Hi mousematt,

the funny thing is, my computer has a gf4, my girlfriends a gf2mx, same driver....

but then again, our problems may be only slightly related, with the same visual end results...

Hope you have better luck at fixing things than I... no good sofar...