epson perfection 1260 photo scanner ???

bigjohn

Hi Forum,

got the above scanner, and mdk 9.0 can't find it (well it's not listed under the hardware, after digging around I can find the scanner with

# sane-find-scanner

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that

# you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x011d [EPSON Scanner]) at libusb:001:002

# A USB device was detected. This program can't be sure if it's really

# a scanner. If it is your scanner, it may or may not be supported by

# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't be

# detected by this program.

Great, but I can't find the " libusb:001:002"

I have found some stuff somewhere that said that I have to "uncomment" usb /dev/usb/scanner0 in the /etc/sane.d/epson.conf which looks like this

# epson.conf

#

# here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON backend

#

# SCSI scanner:

scsi EPSON

#

# Parallel port scanner:

#pio 0x278

#pio 0x378

#pio 0x3BC

#

# USB scanner - only enable this if you have an EPSON scanner. It could

# otherwise block your non-EPSON scanner from being

# recognized.

# Depending on your distribution, you may need either the

# first or the second entry.

#usb /dev/usbscanner0

#usb /dev/usb/scanner0

But as to how I "uncomment" that, or even what it might do is a total mystery

I have also spotted this

# rpm -qa | grep sane

xsane-0.90-1.1mdk

libsane1-1.0.9-3.1mdk

xsane-gimp-0.90-1.1mdk

sane-backends-1.0.9-3.1mdk

which I presume is telling me what sane stuff I have installed

and I have also been to the jonathan buzzards site about usb scanners and following the link I have managed to get the "iscan" app for epson scanners

rpm -qa | grep iscan

iscan-1.5.0-6

apparently, that's should be all I need to get the damn thing working, but I even printed off the readme, and I am completely confused as to what I should do ?

Any ideas please?

regards

John

Ok, since the first posting,

I have followed the instructions at the epson site http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/linux.html and followed the instructions at the "iscan" link.

If i try and start the "iscan" facility in a terminal, I get the terms and conditions, and then it just says "could not send command to scanner"

so I have then followed the instructions at http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/ls...e.html#Mandrake and added the scanner manually with # mknod /dev/usb/scanner0 c 180 48 and # chmod 0666 /dev/usb/scanner0 though what this actually does, I haven't a clue, but I can now see the scanner at /dev/usb

I have also found about the "uncomment" thing mentioned earlier and now my /etc/sane.d/epson.conf looks like this

# epson.conf

#

# here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON backend

#

# SCSI scanner:

scsi EPSON

#

# Parallel port scanner:

#pio 0x278

#pio 0x378

#pio 0x3BC

#

# USB scanner - only enable this if you have an EPSON scanner. It could

# otherwise block your non-EPSON scanner from being

# recognized.

# Depending on your distribution, you may need either the

# first or the second entry.

#usb /dev/usbscanner0

usb /dev/usb/scanner0

but when I try the $ iscan command I still get the "could not sent command to scanner"

So does anyone know what I should do next please?

regards

John

Ok,

I think that I have commented out the "epson scsi" mention in the epson.conf file by putting a # in front of it (to no effect - I still get the no xsane devices when I click on the Icon).

Also, it would appear that the epson 1250/1260 are supported by the plustek-sane-0.45-5 version which I have downloaded as plustek-sane-0.45-5.tar.gz and I have untarred it with xzvf plustek etc etc, but due to rpm induced stupidity, I can't recall what else I have to do with it to finish the install (presuming that an incorrect sane backend? could be causing the xsane not seeing the device)

regards

John

• 4 weeks later...

Someone must be able to help with this.

As I'm rapidly approaching "Witzend".

Right, the scanner is the epson perfection 1260photo, which doesn't even merit a mention at the mandrake hardware database, so

It gets a good mention at Jonathan Buzzards site www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html about usb scanners, but when I try the suggestions at "epson" as linked from the usb scanner page, I get nowhere.

I suspect that this may be because it is either a re-badged mustek or something to do with the chipset?

anyway, it appears to be supported by the "plustek" driver at www.gjaeger.de/scanner/plustek.html and needs "sane" which I understand is at www.mostang.com/sane/.

So I might be screwed before I even start? because the driver appears to use what it thinks is the latest sane - which the table suggests is version x.xx.10 but when I go and check the sane page they have version x.xx.11 or is it x.xx.12 by now!

So how in hells name do I get this damn scanner going????

desperate frustration.

regards

John

Guest anon

This might sound stupid, but it works for me.

I have a epson 1240u USB scanner. The last three versions of mandrake, i have done the same thing.

Mandrake control centre, add scanner. It asks for CD1, installs the sane stuff. Looks for scanner, no scanner found!! I opt to install scanner manually, doesn't work. I unplug the USB cable from the scanner, and after a few seconds plug it back in, hey presto!! scanner found and sane icon appears on desktop. Might be worth a try.

This might sound stupid, but it works for me.

I have a epson 1240u USB scanner. The last three versions of mandrake, i have done the same thing.

Mandrake control centre, add scanner. It asks for CD1, installs the sane stuff. Looks for scanner, no scanner found!!  I opt to install scanner manually, doesn't work. I unplug the USB cable from the scanner, and after a few seconds plug it back in, hey  presto!!  scanner found and sane icon appears on desktop. Might be worth a try.

This works for me as well, and I have the USB 1240U scanner. It works 5x5 with Mandrake 9.1...

Ok, thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try tomorrow and post back the results

regards

John

p.s. I've just checked a link from Jonathan Buzzards usb scanners page tohttp://www.freecolormanagement.com/sane/index.html and it now seems that someone sane? can't decide whether my scanner is supported - though your one seems be supported via a proper epson driver - mine is supposed to be supported my the plustek driver.

I'll report back tomorrow. thanks and goodnight zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well,

I had a look at mcc>hardware>scanners and it just gives me the dropdown for all the mandrake supported scanners.

I noticed that both anon and Relic2k epson 1240 usb scanner is listed, so I can only suppose that they have experienced a minor "buglet".

I tried uninstalling the sane related packages and re-installing, but nothing.

I tried making sure that I had modified both the epson.conf and the plustek.conf, both in turn and together so they said device /dev/usb/scanner0 - and this gives me an icon with xsane /dev/usb/scanner0 below it.

I doesn't matter whether I click the icon or do kdemenu>multimedia>graphics>xsane I still get the "licencing agreement" which I agree, followed by no xsane device found.

If I do sane-find-scanner I get

sane-find-scanner

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that

# you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x011d) at libusb:002:002

# A USB device was detected. This program can't be sure if it's really

# a scanner. If it is your scanner, it may or may not be supported by

# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't be

# detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you

# found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as

# necessary.

So I presume that something is seeing the scanner, as It's giving me the correct "vendor and product ID's".

What next? any idea's much appreciated

regards

John :evil:

Yesterday I got an epson 1660 photo scanner, and I didn't edit anything, just mcc > hardware > scannerdrake, had to select manually, it did find it (something) at my usb-port /dev/usb/scanner0 ; then I indicated the scanner model.

After that, all was fine, I could start with the desktop icon and use all features, even the photo-negative backlight..

So maybe you have to run scannerdrake again, and make sure you select manually, then indicate the right port (/dev/usb/scanner0 or whatever), then indicate the right model by hand....

Thanks anon, I don't know why I never picked up on this thread when I searched?.

But I have now printed it off and am preparing to do battle with the scanner.

If I get as far as "klemm" did, I will have to find out about his "chmod" question at the last post? in his thread - again that's the sort of stuff that I know nothing about.

For aRTee, if my memory serves me correctly, the epson 1660, like anon and Relic2k's 1240U are both listed in "scannerdrake", so the minor "hiccough" that was experienced wasn't really too bad - the 1260 is as far as I have sussed, one that is built by whoever (though I suspect plustek) and sold under different badges in different parts of the world - though it could just be a chipset thing? as the "plustek" driver is used for at least 22 different models of scanner from at least 7 different "manufacturers.

Hence not having any luck trying anon and relic2k's "pull the plug and wait trick".

Many thanks for the help so far.

regards

John 8)

BigJohn, my misunderstanding, didn't realise it doesn't show up in the listing....

Anyway, good luck,... I gave up on my hp4200c and just got the epson 1660 yesterday evening, happy that it worked out of the box (more or less), no more headaches for me. It seems that the epson iscan stuff works well for people with the 1260, so I think you have a decent chance (one reason I gave up on the hp4200c is that it is only partially supported, 8bit colour instead of 24 and limited to 600 dpi) considering the people that are successful with it.

I was just about to finish a mega post of the result of various commands that I got from the "linked thread", because I have been trying to sort this for the last 3 hours, what with uninstalling sane, xsane, etc etc etc and got to the bit that mentions jonathan buzzards site (and thinking, yes, yes, yes, I've already tried this) so I turn over the page think, OK, I'll try and add the bit's that "klemm" has found after he got his scanner working, and I manualy added "plustek" to my /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and then I have opened and manually added the 2 lines

[usb]0x04b8 0x011d vendor and manufacturer ID-s

device libusb :002:002

(I recall something about being the bus and something else numbers - anyway that's what I found originally with sane-find scanner)

and after seeing that that was the last of the revelations/commands etc I clicked on the "scanner icon" and by magic sane opened up,

the only weird thing now, is that the scanner is identified as an epson GT7000 and not a 1260 :?:

Right, I'm off back to my user account to see what happens

regards

John

So the scanner now works from my user account as well, but it is still identified as a GT7000 and not a perfection 1260 photo :?:

Why is this, could this be because i don't think that I have the most up to date sane, sane backend/frontend, xsane etc etc

I have got the "thing" working with

[root@localhost john]# rpm -qa | grep sane

libsane1-1.0.8-5mdk

sane-backends-1.0.8-5mdk

sane-frontends-1.0.8-1mdk

xsane-gimp-0.87-1mdk

xsane-0.87-1mdk

[root@localhost john]#

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

And if you think this might be the case, should I try to install the "latest" versions??

regards

John