Printer Issues with 2008.0

Mitchell

Hi folks, thought I should post this up in case others run into it, though it's mostly solved for me. Last night my computer hung itself badly when I tried to print some colour A4 pages I had created with Openoffice.org. It had happened the previous night, but I had killed my current session, and restarted my box. Everything appeared fine, so I powered off and went to bed, printing unfinished. Then last night all hell broke loose... tried to print the same files, and my CPU was being eaten by some mystery process I couldn't find. I tried to find it through ksysguard, but there was nothing abnormal, certainly nothing to make my box run so slowly. It took several minutes at one point to open a new window...

Tried killing the session, tried everything I could, then finally bit the bullet, rebooted, and restored via Mondo to an earlier time. (bless that program, I'm so glad I created a backup when everything was still working) Took about 20 minutes, and everything was fine again. Then had a think, and uninstalled my printer, an Epson Stylus Photo R210. As I was reinstalling, I realized that initially I had set it up using both printer drake, which conveniently sprang up upon first connecting it up, and the kde setup wizard. (kserver or something?) I think this was the problem. I configured it this time through the kde program, and left printer drake alone. That seemed to solve it for me.

Now my only issue is the bloody colours... I think my printer itself needs a service, and it's very likely I stuffed up when refilling the ink cartridges not long ago... Not a major hassle, very little magenta colour, and everything is not printing the way it should, but alright for the most part. The exception is this brochure I'm designing, I can't get the printout on one of the pages to look any good, the colours are very bad. Have tried lots of settings, and will keep trying more. I'm hoping to print out another 50 or so this morning...lol. Get there in the end.

Hope this helps anyone with 2008.0 printer troubles. ;)