Adaptec 29320 SCSI with hostraid driver

Guest Bob Wya

Guest Bob Wya

Hi

Just downloaded the Powerpack 2008 edition of Mandriva today and I am wondering how I can go about integrating the Adaptec Hostraid Linux driver?

I have an Adaptec SCSI Card 29320A-R with 4x SCSI 36Gb HD hanging off it. I would like to dual boot with Windows with Linux on 2xHD (RAID-0) and Windows on 2xHD (RAID-0).

Fedora has the driver integrated in version 7.0.0 but I can't get the install to complete. Obviously I would prefer Mandriva as I am used it and well hell I have paid for the download (all in the aid of a good cause of course)!!

I am a bit unclear how I can sort this problem out....

Does this sound about right:

1) Breakup my existing RAID set so I have 2 free un-raided SCSI drives

2) Install Mandriva on one of these free drives (as it should be able to 'see' the individual drives)

3) Build the driver against the current kernel source

4) Then ... I start getting hazy...!! How do I build a new DVD ISO image to install?? :wall:

A good link (for novices) would be appreciated!!

Sorry I am very much a newbie at this GNU/Linux stuff and have spent to much time messing about with Windows!!

Thanks

Bob Wya

Why not set the controller fo 2 RAID sets and install Mandriva on the set of your choice? It is the card that determines the RAID id to the bus. Turn on RAID, and Mandriva should recognize it.

Guest Bob Wya

When I try and install Fedora this what happens:

1) Fedora has the Adaptec Host RAID driver integrated so can see the 4 HD as 1 large disk 4x36Gb in size

Why not set the controller fo 2 RAID sets and install Mandriva on the set of your choice? It is the card that determines the RAID id to the bus. Turn on RAID, and Mandriva should recognize it.

(Mandriva Powerpack DOES NOT have the Adaptec RAID driver integrated so can only see the individual SCSI discs in answer to your question - it's probably a bit of an Adaptec hardware/software gludge in otherwords !!)

2) I can't resize the windows partition with the Fedora installer (weak!!) so I reinstalled Windows in a 80000Mb partition leaving space for Linux on the rest of the array

3) The Fedora installer could see it had 60000Mb to work with so I set up a 56000Mb Ext-3 partition and 4Gb swap (as I have 4Gb RAM)

4) Then I try and install and Fedora complains it doesn't have enough space... well heck I think 56000Mb is enough for most Linux distros!!

In dmesg (or whatever the debug log it spits out) it is back to see the individual SCSI drives and this appears to occur when it tries to create the 56000 Mb Ext-3 partition which would have to span 2x36Gb HD

Obviously the Adaptec hostRAID driver is a software gludge (as it needs the driver in the OS and isn't transparent to the OS) so there probably can't be much point using it really (the 29320 card is at the budget end :-) as it surely can't add much to the performance!! Mandriva see the 4x SCSI HD individually but can't make sense of the partition table... I would need something like a Adaptec SCSI RAID 2130SLP card to get the hardware transparency but would be quite a bit more out of pocket :-) Probably better to span the 2x OS over a number of drives each to reduce HD head latency by having different parts of the OS on different physical HD... :wall:

Bob Wya

OT:

PS Does anyone know how I would submit the dmesg (??) debug log for my install to Fedora...??? Yeh I know this is a Mandriva forum but I mean how can I get it physically get it off my machine) to help them sort out the problem - when the install has failed (i.e. surely it can't be stored anywhere)?? They are saying like have a message saying submit the report to such and such website - but how!! This is probably the same issue I could get with any Linux distro so would be useful to know!! New topic elsewhere perhaps...

When I read about the card, it seemed to be a real RAID card. But, if it is indeed software RAID, then yes, the driver must be in place for the card to do its thing.

I went to Adaptec's sight. Looks like you get the source code here. So you'll have to install on one drive; compile the driver; then move the system to RAID.

I would set up two RAID sets initially. The second set will have to be built after compiling the driver. Sounds like a lot of work! B)

Guest Bob Wya

Yeh

I gave up with that since it's probably more efficient to chop up both Windows and Linux across the individual drives (to try to hide drive latency). I'm giving this a try just now to see if I can see a difference...

I've got more important issues like no sound and zero external SATA drives to deal with anyway :wall:

Bob