One 2008.0 boot (ACPI?) problem

anyone

Hi!

I'm having some trouble with the newly downloaded Mandriva One 2008.

I first burned it on a CD-RW, the burning went fine, and the .iso md5 checksum matched the one found on the mirror. Still, when trying to boot the CD, I got something like this (impossible to say accurately, it doesn't keep these visible long enough for me to write them up on paper):

ACPI WARNING: Incorrect checksum in table [(put something here)

along with some errors having something to do with processor_core, saying they are not found. They were ACPI errors, too.

After those I got a long list of hard drive IO errors. After that, it still tried to boot, and got stuck while just showing the cursor and nothing else.

I thought it might have been an error in the burning process, and I burned it on another disk (DVD-RW this time, I wanted to test if it the other disk was damaged), and no; all went well while burning but then again at booting it gave me the ACPI errors. The hard drive errors were gone, and now it went up and I'm writing this using the One cd (haven't installed it yet).

Now the ACPI errors seem to cause nothing, but delay the booting a little bit, and I want to know what causes these errors and if they can make my system instable before installing. These errors have not appeared on any other distro (openSUSE, Ubuntu) nor with the 2007.1 release.

My processor is Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, motherboard ASUS P5LD2 SE.

Someone willing to tell me what causes these? :unsure:

EDIT: A stupid question, but how can you launch the Compiz Fusion settings manager? I can't find it... :D

Edited by anyone

Well, it happens to someone in Ubuntu :)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/l....22/+bug/133146

I suspect it only happens with recent kernels. What Ubuntu were you using? If Feisty, maybe that's why.

It seems to be just warning you of some mistakes in your system's BIOS ACPI implementation. I don't think it's a big issue, but as that bug report says, you may want to try upgrading your laptop's BIOS to the latest version available.