Chipsets for mandriva 2006?

pelusa

Hi,

I am currently building a measurement computer which has to run labview, as well as host a very fast counting card (FastComtec P7888). As it has to run labview, the only free linux OS is Mandriva 2006. Unfortunately Mandriva 2007 gives problems while installing and looking at NI webpage, it seems like Mandriva 2006 is the way to go. Now, the counting card needs fast response from the motherboard and the processor. OK lets get really good ones .... hm Intels D975 motherboard does not support Linux/Mandriva (yet). Or in other words, Mandriva does not yet support the chipset used by those boards .... In addition I cannot use the E6850 processor or even the quad core QX6850. I guess I have to go with the DQ965 and the E6700 processor (any experience with 2006?):

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...b/CS-008326.htm

What is the fastest motherboard/processor combination that you have heard of running Mandriva 2006 (2.6.12-31)? Please note, I have to go with a clone computer as the counting card has restrictions on the PCI port, such as supporting two IO address ranges, DMA transfer .... and others. So no HP, dell, or other "main" supplier can be used. Only Intel, Asus or supermicro.

By the way while installing labview 8.2 on Mandriva 2006, I have to rebuild the kernel and change following :

from

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?boar...=509336#M274354

"

By looking in the file /tmp/niSystemReport.out.gz, we were able to find more information regarding why the install was failing. NIKAL is a kernel module, and it was complaining about version magic numbers disagreeing between itself and our installed kernel source in the line:

Sep 26 12:11:01 ctl2121 kernel: nikal: version magic '2.6.12-31mdkcustom 686 gcc-4.0' should be '2.6.12-31mdk 686 gcc-4.0'

So after searching around a bit, I found that the kernel source we had installed was set to this 31mdkcustom, whereas nikal was expecting 31mdk. So we went to the Makefile for our kernel source found in /usr/src/linux, and edited the fourth line from

EXTRAVERSION = -31mdkcustom

to

EXTRAVERSION = -31mdk

Then, we recompiled the kernel source, by running make in this directory, then retried installing nikal with no problems, as the version magic numbers were identical. I'm not sure why the version was set to custom in the default install of the kernel source for 2.6.12-31, and my only worry is that it might cause problems if we try to install other kernel modules that expect the custom version magic number, but my guess is that it won't. What kind of weird kernel module *wants* to have a custom version magic in the kernel? None, I imagine.

"

Does this change any harm to anything else?

Thanks a lot for helping me with these problems

Pelusa