SATA Support iin Gigabyte K8NS motherboard

jbuckley2004

I'm running Mandy One 2007.1 (2.6.17-13) on a Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 motherboard using an Athlon 63 +3800. Works wonderfully with IDE drives. When I install 2008 I'd like to get a new SATA II drive, and I'm having problems finding out if it's supported.

From Linux Questions' Hardware Compatibility List, I got:

Tested with Fedora Core 4 (FC4), 2.6.15-1.1831_FC4

Everything works, with the exception of SATA. The sata hardware appears supported but its not stable. The nvidia chipset sata is more reliable than the silicon image chip.:

Has anyone had success with later 2.6 kernels, or with early releases of 2008? Is SATA II fully supported?

Thanks in advance.

On board sata is supported from at least Mandriva 2007 onwards.

I have been and am currently using two SATA hard drives ans use tem both as Raid 1 and also separately.

Your problem is most likely that you have not gone into the bios and set the sata drive/s to be activated and also not set the bios to boot from SATA rather than from IDE. ( a different thing again.)

Try that and see how you go.

Cheers. John.

I have the exact same board. FC 6 & 7 both worked fine with the Sata II drive I have on my box. Point to note, the Sata controller on that motherboard is Sata I, the drive will still work, but your maximum transfer rate will be 1.5Gb/s, rather than 3gb/s. Support for native Sata II controllers I can not comment on, but that is not an issue for you.

RF that is an important point that I forgot.

If the board is SATA1 and your HDD is Sata2 then it will not run properly unless you set the link on the back of the Sata HD to run as Sata1.

You need to check with your Hard Drive manufacturer on this point.

I use Western Digital and they made it clear in their accompanying literature about this point.

Your brand may not have taken the trouble as WD did for its customers, but if you too have WD also then I suspect you didn't read the literature.

I have the advantage that if my Mainboard fails and I replace it with a current model then all I need to do is remove the link and I am running at full speed.

Without the link connection being correct, the drive will still be detected but will not run properly if at all (mostly all). In many cases the drive will not even be detected depending on the mainboard Brand or type.

Cheers. John.

Gentlemen, thanks. I'll be giving it a try.

John, I haven't purchased the drive yet - I was just investigating before I take the plunge. Thanks very much for the tip about setting the bios!

- Oops - I didn't see you're second reply, John, until just now.

All that is very good information! The drive I'm considering is indeed a WD. I'll pay attention to setting the link on the drive as well.

Thanks again.

Edited by jbuckley2004