2 TB RAID Showed Correct At Setup But Not After?

kjv1611

I have a PNY S-CURE PCI SATA RAID Card with 5 500 GB WD SATA2 Hard drives attached.

During setup, Mandriva saw it correctly as 2 TB total capacity, and it also saw a partition of 465GB (which was part of the 2TB from before - it used to be a separate drive from the RAID 3 ARRAY.

I did not partition that ARRAY during setup, so there are no partitions showing available under the Mandriva Linux Control Center Partitions editor - I forget what it is actually called, but it isn't showing a separate name onscreen right now.

So, why is my 2TB RAID showing as 2 separate drives/arrays?, and only a total of 1.5 TB?

Is there some way I can correct this within Mandriva, or does it have to be reinstalled?

And an associated question about this: I downloaded the big DVD of Mandriva Spring 2007 Free and used that. Is that whole thing free, or is some/all of it trial ware? I did not have to enter any information before downloading the ISO image.

Also, it did have an icon on the desktop "Buy it now", but I deleted it. Is this thing going to run for a month or a few months, and then just quit working if I don't buy it?

Any information greatly appreciated. I've done very little in Linux to date. Mandriva seemed awesome so far, I just hope it stays that way!

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your RAID question, but I have an answer to at least one other.

Mandriva is not Microsoft. What you downloaded is free. The "buy it now" icon? Not sure what you mean, but I know there are icons for purchasing a subscription to Mandriva Club for access to faster update FTP mirrors and 'premium' support at Mandriva Club. Your Mandriva will keep on running. And it won't nag you. You deleted that icon....it's gone...for good.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Thanks for the info. That is great to know, because this Mandriva thing is just AWESOME so far! If I can get the disk partitioning thing fixed, I think I may have found computer heaven! :)

Actually, I'm going to try reinstalling, and taking care of all of the partitions right up front, and see if that does any better.

Any other ideas on the partitions issue, please let me know. I'll try to post back with my progress.. it may be tomorrow.

If you didn't partition it, then it won't mount or do anything. What you would need to do is go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer, and then go into partitioning in here, and partition the 2TB of disk. You will need a mount point, maybe something like /data for the 2TB or something, and then you can have it mounted here each time you boot your system and get access to it.

If you didn't partition it, then it won't mount or do anything. What you would need to do is go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer, and then go into partitioning in here, and partition the 2TB of disk. You will need a mount point, maybe something like /data for the 2TB or something, and then you can have it mounted here each time you boot your system and get access to it.

That is where I've been going the whole time, and trying to mount the 2 TB of storage. However, it has it split into 2 separate sections:

hdc = 1 TB available

hdc = 465GB available

Where it should just show as one disk with 2 TB available.

Another note I've noticed as well - as somehow why it's noticing the RAID ARRAY as 2 separate drives.

I can see this detail under the Boot loader configuration tool:

It shows for possible boot devices:

/dev/hdc (Netcell Revolution SR5000 R3-5)

/dev/hdd (Netcell Revolution SR5000 R0-1)

/dev/mapper/nvidia_eafgfgbf

/dev/mapper/nvidia_eafgfgbf1

/dev/mapper/nvidia_eafgfgf5

/dev/mapper/nvidia_eafgfgbf6

Now the last 4 somehow related to the RAID 1 ARRAY which is where the system is installed, and where I put the 3 (I guess standard) different partitions.

The first 2 are actually for the same item, but listed as 2 separate. Any ideas why one shows R3-5 and one shows R0-1? Could it possibly be that previously one of the 5 drives was an individual drive (when I only had 4 installed on that card)? If so, is there any way to format/flush the old information causing this?

I guess I could use Ubuntu Live CD to try and format it and see if that fixes it... any thoughts?

Okay, I tried to somehow separate the drives - impossible with this RAID card, unfortunately - it will support up to 2 separate RAID ARRAYS.

But, I did try reconfiguring the setup (basically it will wipe everything from all the drives, and also deleted everything and redid the RAID 3.

Basically, the way the netcell stuff is setup, it wil automatically asign the RAID according to how many drives you include - 5 disks is an automatic RAID 3.

One day in the future, maybe I'll get a different motherboard/cpu setup that has an onboard RAID and do a RAID 5 or 10 or something. :)

Now, I looked, and nothing is showing from it... Got to go and try another option (the RAID card has the option of turning something on and off - something interrupt. I'll go and turn it back off again, and see if it shows again... and maybe, hopefully not, I'll end up having to reinstall Mandrake to get it to recognize it correctly again...

Another update... reworking with the RAID BIOS - it seems the problem of it not showing up was within the RAID card, b/c it reconfigured it , and apparently it tried to automatically recreate a RAID 0 of just one drive, and whatever else... so maybe it'll show up with the Interupt 3 enabled... booting Mandriva now, will post back to state whether this works, or whether it has to do with the interrrupt being enabled/disabled - I had to have it enabled on the last system (Windows XP)..

Okay, something has GOT to give. Is there some limit within Mandriva of 1 TB or somethign? Even though the RAID BIOS shows 2 tb (exactly 1,850GB or something like that), but it's still only showing 1 TB in the partitioning part of Mandriva setup after I reinstalled!!

Surely there is SOMETHING I can do to fix this!?

Another fast update before I head out the door for a while. Hopefully can come back and get this all figured out.

Ubuntu 7.04 desktop didn't seem to recognize the RAID 3 correctly either.

However, Ubuntu 7.04 server did.

So, it is apparently something with the software, not the hardware after all. I think I may try that one again, and redo the raid config for the system (b/c the BIOS RAID didn't work correctly with it... oh boy..)

Any other suggestions on getting Mandriva to recoginze everything correctly would be greatly appreciated! :)

Okay, I've tried everything I know. Ubuntu 7.04 Server Ed saw the RAID 3 100% correctly when I looked through that one again.

I tried even reformatting the hard drives with Windows XP, and it recongized everything correctly as well.

But when I started installing Mandriva, it still shows the 2 TB as just 1 TB. I have no clue what it is, and it doesn't appear that anyone around here does - so far.

So, for now, I'm going to try the Ubuntu 7.04 GUI/Desktop edition, and if it sees the RAID 3 correctly, I'll just go with it for now. If not, I'll go back to the Ubuntu Server Ed.

If anyone ends up finding anything in the mean time, or thinking of something that would correct the issue, let me know.

Thanks.