Craziest error yet?

kmack

:lol: Put new hd in my wife's 7 yr old desktop (PII/266, 192MB RAM, Acer Aspire 5000E) and decided to put 9.1 on it for fun.

Got the craziest error message I've ever seen:

There was an error installing packages kernel-2.4.21.0.13mdk-1-1mdk.i586

Go on anyway?

Yes

No

Cannot imagine what would have happened if I tried to go on? :roll: :lol: :?:

Cleaned the CD reader, tried a more basic package selection and it is spinning away and so far is installing fine! Oops! Just choked on kdelibs! Think it is the older cdr having problems reading the cd properly.

The CD's check ok via md5sum btw. What fun!

8)

If you continue to have probs, you my find it necessary to boot to CD2 and do an install with an alternate kernel. I don't know how to do it, I just rememder rolf at the old board making this suggestion to those having probs on older machines, and it seemed to help sometimes.

I think the problem was the older model cdrom in that desktop was not reading the burned cd very well. :cry:

It took going to text mode install and about 15 tries with various options like ide=nodma noacpi nousb and then it was painfully slow. Alt-Ctrl-F4 showed problems reading files. I did eventually get it installed with the new kernel, btw.

When I installed this am on my newer box it went through very fast and well-- 15 min to reboot. Only problem was on doing the upgrade the connection got timed out and I had to rebuild the rpm db and try again to get all the new patches.

My observation is that some cdrom's may be a potentially bigger source of install problems than we might think. It might pay to ask people what kind of cdrom/cdrw they are using on install. Just a hunch from an ole guy... :wink:

Guest jglen490

The first time I installed a Linux distro, I had similar errors. Obviously, if the kernel package won't install, then there's not much point in going on any further. What it took for my first install was a different CD drive. Once I did that, all my errors (except my own stupid fingers :lol: ) disappeared.

Guest gwayne

Sometimes its a combination.

I had that problem when I used a combination of cdrom & dvdplayer

If I disconnected the philips, all was fine.

:shock: