Upgrade failed, now backup system weird [solved]

krisbee2000

I tried upgrading my 2006 system to 2007 and it didn't work... then I tried instaling 2007, and it didn't work well... so I wanted to go back to my old system, which I had tar'd up on my firewire drive.

Well, when I rebooted, atd didn't work anymore (so I uninstalled and reinstalled) and neither did devfs... also my usb stick and firewire drive aren't visable...

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it still failed... I wonder if there is some kind of permission error somewhere on the untarring that maybe messsed a thing up or two...

here is some info from the syslogs where I searched for devfs

Sep 30 19:34:19 localhost devfsd: Stopping devfsd daemon: succeeded 
Sep 30 19:34:19 localhost devfsd: Starting devfsd daemon: succeeded 
Sep 30 19:34:21 localhost devfsd: devfsd shutdown failed 
Sep 30 19:34:21 localhost devfsd: Stopping devfsd daemon: succeeded 
Sep 30 19:34:21 localhost devfsd: Starting devfsd daemon: succeeded 
Sep 30 19:58:38 localhost rpmdrake-remove[4297]: Removing package devfsd-1.3.25-40mdk.i586 
Sep 30 19:58:44 localhost devfsd: devfsd shutdown failed 
Sep 30 19:58:44 localhost devfsd: Stopping devfsd daemon: succeeded 
Sep 30 19:58:46 localhost rpmdrake-remove[4297]: [RPM] devfsd-1.3.25-40mdk removed 
Sep 30 20:00:41 localhost rpmdrake[4345]: [RPM] devfsd-1.3.25-40mdk installed 
Sep 30 20:01:58 localhost msec: changed mode of /etc/rc.d/init.d/devfsd from 755 to 744

notice the last line...

So, what is the deal? Why did this whole process ruin my weekend? I was literally on the computer for two days straight trying to make everything work, and when it didn't, luckily I had my backup (which took some work to restore from)

My USB printer seems to not be working, either.. :(

HELP!

Edited by krisbee2000

Unlike older revisions, 2007 was using udev in place of devfsd (which is obsolete since a long time ago). But unless I'm missing something, 2006 was also using udev- so, unless you are using some custom made kernel, devfsd should not exist at all.

Are you sure you've restored the right backup?

Unlike older revisions, 2007 was using udev in place of devfsd (which is obsolete since a long time ago). But unless I'm missing something, 2006 was also using udev- so, unless you are using some custom made kernel, devfsd should not exist at all.

Are you sure you've restored the right backup?

Yes, I only made one backup using the command:

tar --exclude=/home  --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys -cvpf backup.tar /themountpoint_ where_ "/"_should_go

onto my firewire drive... , then I did the same for just the home directory (to have two seperate backups), modified of course... to restore, I did tar xvpf backup.tar -C /the_place_where_things_should_go

However, I am now thinking that the problem is that I shouldn't have restored /dev

Is that correct? My old /dev might be the culprit? Is this automatically generated on boot? I have read somewhere that you should exculde /dev... then I read NO, include it.

Other than that, the only thing I can think of is the read permissions might have been screwy....

Edited by krisbee2000

Ok, here is how it was solved.

I did a full restore from a tar file... what happend was that /dev was restored from the earlier date, so the current day udev couldn't access the files correctly... Booted into Knoppix, went to the root hd, and deleted ALL BUT CONSOLE AND NULL from the /dev directory (actually, I copied and moved the old stuff out in case I needed it).

Then, I deleted out the /tmp directories in root and in my home directory.

This solved the problem.