Freezes while booting [solved]

Valikhan

Hi there.

I got Mandriva 2007 Spring One image from your site. Burnt it to CD, booted successfully from it with command acpi=off because otherwise it freesed with black screen. I had installed OS to hard drive following easy setup guide and left all settings by default. I have Windows XP as well so this is dual boot. XP boots up as good as before but Mandriva just freezes with your orange screen and empty bar on bottom. I tried to boot up in safe mode and it did not work as well, freezed with error 2 for mounting root filesystem dev/root; error 2 opening dev/console and switch root mount failed error 22. Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init. I do not know how to attach .jpeg file to here to provide more info. Photograph is only way to catch screen info I think.

Yet, I used GUI GRUB.

Thank you

A bit more details: Mandriva is GNOME and my PC AMD 64 X2, Gygabite, Nvidia 7300, RAM 1 Gb, dvd rw

Edited by Valikhan

When you see the grub screen, try editing the kernel line, and add to the end of it:

acpi=off

in case it's not enabled on your current set up after install.

Also, just to let you know, we are not an official Mandriva site. We are unofficial and no way connected with Mandriva. We just like to help and support users of Mandriva. So you didn't get Mandriva from our site, but from Mandriva's site - since we are not them! ;)

Sorry, I did not get image from you.

Well, I put to show grub with graphical interface. And what you said: acpi=off, I had chosen while installation process and now this is by default. There are some options else, like apic and something else there. And installation also offers you to choose from where to start up grub and OS itself. I mean partition where Mandriva is installed and swap partition. What I should to put?

I will try reinstall in different ways and with different options as it will not harm anything but any help would be much appreciated.

Linux teams do great job trying to bring it closer to usual users like me. But what I see so far it is not so easy as Windows installation.

Hi there.

As I told before I tried to reinstall and change some points. :wall:B)

Fortunately I got it. All I did are just added noapic, nolapic and grub with text interface. B)

Now I am typing this post from Mandriva 2007.1 Spring GNOME, waiting for updates will have downloaded and look what these updates will bring me, hopefully no troubles. I did not dig yet dipper into OS settings such as wallpapers, screensavers etc, just reconfigured network settings to get Internet connection. :mellow:

Well, I apologize Mandriva is far better than Windows XP and I am looking forward for new release. :thumbs:

Problem is solved.

I think moderators will help me to mark this topic as solved.

Thank you very much.

Valikhan, a very big Welcome to MUB.

You are correct, Mandriva really is easier than Windows to install.

Some times we get a little over awed and intimidated by something that works a little differently to what we are used to.

However you proved that by slowing down and thinking through, in this case you largely solved it yourself with a bit of help from new friends (we are all friends at MUB). Congratulations.

We hope you visit here often and not just when you have a problem.

Cheers and good Mandriva computing.

John. From the opposite side of the Earth.

Edited by AussieJohn